Monday, June 21, 2010

quoting the schmoes

"Pop Pop's old."-Felix, watching him walk away "Is he gonna die soon?"

That one is more accurate than funny. It's always heartbreaking when a little kid picks up on reality. Pop Pop is almost 89 years old. While I would love for him to live forever, I know his time is coming soon. He keeps talking about dying and his health is on a pretty obvious decline. We had a talk tonight. About dying and his desires for burial and not wanting to go out slowly with hospice and all that jazz. It sucked. I would rather just not think about it. I want to know that he's here in his smoky condo, chattin' with Shadow, deciding between Huddle House and IHOP for dinner.

None of us make it out alive.

I've been opening up with him more and more about what he means to me. I don't want to tell everybody else the thoughts that I have about him and never tell him. I've told him how much he means to Sean. I've told him how much Sean loved his summer trips to Florida. I've told him I love him a million times.

I haven't told him how much I respect him. I haven't told him how much of him I see in Sean. How his involvement in Sean's life played such a huge part in making him the man he is. I haven't told him that his grandson cried{it was more the manly choked up cry than a real cry} after their last conversation. Or that his great grandsons ask if he'll go to Heaven when he dies. I haven't told him how much it bothers me that I don't know the answer to that question.

I haven't told him that my life will never ever be the same when he's gone.

That was a depressing little tangent. This was supposed to be a funny post. Moving on!

"Did you know you don't have to go to college?"-Simon, to his cousin, Lauren
"Yeah, but you should go."-Lauren
"And if you don't, you'll have to work at McDonald's for the rest of your life."-me, in my infinite wisdom.
"I want to work at McDonald's for the rest of my life! You get to eat and sell food all day long!"-Simon, making a pretty okay point from his perspective.

"Guess I'll just hafta be a one sock man." Felix, giving up his hunt for a lone lost sock.

Feefs had a major attitude today. Grumbling in the car he mentioned that he doesn't want to live anywhere but with his Aunt Niki. In his overly dramatic, middle child way, he expressed just exactly how he feels about SC weather. I sincerely hope this does not offend any of my SC friends, but think you all may agree after this latest wave of heat+unbearable, sticky humidity.

"I don't want to go to Heaven!"-him
"Oh? You'd rather go to Hell?"-me
"We're already there!"-my future preacher

Even my Baptist-in-every-fiber-of-her-being Mama laughed at that one.

Good-bye, Suck Reclina. We'll be back soon!

3 comments:

Jude said...

Oh my word... I am telling you... We need to set Felix and Hadji in a room and record the convo...
I love those kiddos :)
your words about pop-pop, so heartfelt, true, and i totally get it!

Corey said...

oh that's too funny! Felix cracks me up!

Katie said...

I'm with you Feefs!!! :)

Your Pop Pop sounds like such a sweet man. They don't make many men like him anymore! I'm glad you were able to spend some time with him. Those are the moments that will last a lifetime...