Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

the best one yet! It's over!! It's sooooooo over. I suppose this will have to just be a regular ole post since all ten points would probably end up being one long message, separated by numbers. That's just annoying. Then again, I can't really form a cohesive thought right now so...numbers it is!

1. I got no sleep last night. As evidenced in the gallon jugs hanging on under my eyeballs today. Sean called at 5:50 to tell me he made it to Baltimore and, "Why do you sound so tired? Were you sleeping?" Um, YAW.

2. I decorated the house super early. It was awesome catching my neighbors on their way to work. They were all waving and honking. It was a good feeling. All except for my immediate neighbor. He's a jerk. He was in and out loading up his boat the entire time I was hanging stuff and never said a word. Not one. Whatever. I think he's a serial killer. Even Felix yesterday, after having said, "Hey" twice in his sweet little Feefers way and getting no response shouted, "Well that's rude! I said 'hello' and he said nothing back!" Moving on.

3. We got to the airport an hour early. His plane was 50 minutes late. All of this was right in the middle of should-be naptime for Mr. T. I am so so glad we had friends there to help with the kiddos and keep them  me entertained.

4. Susannah, Tara, Paul, Isabella, Jacob, Caleb, Ashlee, Mazzy, Byron, Sara, Vick, Lhanna, and little Lennon, I appreciate every single one of you. It means the world to me that you care enough about our little unit to be there today. Taking pictures, (wo)manning the video camera, corralling kids...I couldn't have kept it together without you guys. Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you.

While I'm at it, I also really appreciate the tons and tons of emails and facebook messages I got not just today, but all along. Those little bits of pep talks and encouragement meant more than any of you will ever know.

5. A friend of mine showed up just a little bit before Sean's plane finally made it in. He said, "I'm gonna try and make this just a little bit better." I had not a clue. He pulled a little bit of magic and mentioned there was a plane load of soldiers coming in and suddenly there was a group of people in cowboy hats holding this ginormous sign! Considering Sean was the only one in Camo coming off that plane, I felt a bit silly. It was awesome though. I felt like we mattered.

6. It was a really wierd feeling seeing Sean at the top of that ramp. Just surreal is all, I guess. I don't know how to put it into words. I felt all shy and...wierd. I still haven't stopped shaking all the way.

7. The craziest part about the whole thing was introducing Sean to this whole crowd of people that came to welcome him home. Maybe that's why I get all choked up thinking about his welcoming committee. :) They don't even know him, but they still came.

8. We had Chick fil A for dinner. That's what he wanted. I tried to talk him into Mexican. Soon. I need Mexican soon. He wasn't in Texas long enough before he deployed to get the need. Something about this place just makes you crave it. I swear I could eat Mexican every single day and never get tired of it. There are so many places to chose from and they are all different. Crap, now I'm hungry. Tortillas anyone?

9. He showed me and the boys a video he made for the CASF. I was weepy the whole way through that too. I am just so proud of him. I was a touch weepy, too, after he told me some things about where he was in relation to the heavy fighting. There's a lot I'm glad I didn't know. I am so proud and so thankful.

When I was tucking the kiddos in tonight, Simon got all teary eyed when I told him how thankful we should be that God chose us. He kept our Daddy safe when some kids don't get their dads back from Afghanistan.

It's gonna be an adjustment for sure. Simon is already having little meltdowns here and there b/c he doesn't know how to act around Sean. He whispers things to me to ask Sean. Soon enough we'll get back in to a groove. Feefs is pretty cool about it all. Titus is starting to figure out that this guy is here to stay.

10. He zonked out on the couch. I told him I couldn't carry him up to the bed and not to fall asleep on the couch. His body is still set on AfG time. It was crazy sitting on the couch next to him. I just kept poking him and staring at him thinking about all those nights I stared at the empty spots he should've been.

It's definitely gonna take some getting used to. It's a good thing, though, all good. My cheeks are killing me from all this smiling.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so proud of you mamma for all you did to keep your family running while Sean was gone. It's all the little unspoken things that will make the biggest impression. Just like Mary kept all those things in her heart, I'm sure you are doing many of the same.

I am glad Sean made it back safe and sound. Things will get back into routine before you know it....and now at least you have Sean to kill the scorpians should they come around again.

nicole said...

hooray!!!
love reading this post!
so happy to read after those tuesdays when you were without him - the joy in you is so evident in those photos - i love it :)

Brown English Muffin said...

WOW...I'm done crying though, I wish I could say I'm pregnant and my hormones are out of whack....I've never even met you but I'm just sooo happy he's home.

"He whispers things to me to ask Sean." THE BEST LINE EVER!!!