Tuesday, November 09, 2010

posting

even though I don't feel like it. I feel like I should feel like it. My not wanting to is causing me to miss documenting important stuff.

Such as:

1. Felix counted his way past 100 today on our walk home from school. Seamlessly. Not a digit was overlooked. Yet, his school progress report said he can only count to 26. I thought that didn't seem right.

2. Thanksgiving was a success. Sean's turkey was stellar. My green bean casserole, a little less than stellar. It went something like, "Is there anything left in the oven?" Followed by a, "Crrrrrrrrrrrrrap!" I also scorched one dessert,to the point that my Pampered Chef dish is still soaking to soften the burned bits. Other than that though, it was happy memories.

3. The reason we had Thanksgiving early was a little rough. Deployments just aren't something anybody wants to dwell on; the impending sense of sadness, the reminder of all those things leading up to Sean's deployment and the months that followed. My friend is a tough chick, though. She wears her uniform with pride and she will do just fine. I don't know how the rest of us will do without her, but she will be fine.

4. Saturday, we ended up at the air show. Sean was resisting, but I talked him into it. Hello? We have three children of the male persuasion. Airplanes, boys...there should be no cajoling. In the end, he was a bigger kid about the airplanes than any of my actual kids were. It was so nostalgic. My dad used to drag us to air show after air show. Now I know why. Airplanes really are cool. I also know why pilots have that strut, that peacock attitude. When you are pulling moves like that, you have to be arrogant. Simon kept yelling, mesmerized, "They're gonna die!" during every super cool stunt.

5. A pumpkin bread/cake recipe I don't want to forget. It was translated from Arabic, so watch the cooking time. It was the only thing that didn't match up. Then again, it may have been my pan. Either way, it is the most fabulous delicacy ever{according to Titus and the two fist fulls of bread he has at all times}.

4 eggs
3 cups of sugar
1 1/2 cups of pumpkin{maybe just a hint less if you don't like a strong pumpkin flavor}
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup of water

BLEND above ingredients in a blender. It gets full, but it does fit.

Combine 3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg{if you don't have nutmeg, all cinnamon is still yummy}

Add wet ingredients. Stir. Duh. In the oven one hour @ 350 degrees. It makes a big batch, so use a big pan. Spray the pans with Pam. I split mine into two disposable tin foil pan thingies and they were doner than done at 40 minutes. I iced half of mine with a cream cheese frosting. Mmm.

6. Simon and Felix's nightly chats amuse me to no end. I try to ignore my desire that they just hush and go to bed. I try to remember the night time conversations I had with my big brother/bunk mate when we shared a room once upon a time. Tonight, I overheard a gem of a convo. Simon said, "God always forgives us, no matter what. If we say, 'I'm sorry,' He says, 'No problem.'" Then Felix went on to tell the tale of how he lied to me today. And Simon rounded out the chat describing how, "Even when mommy and daddy mess up and yell at us, if they ask for forgiveness, God will do it." Like a knife in the heart. I never yell, so I don't even know what he was talking about. I did make sure to pass the story along to Sean, though.

We've been talking about repentance being more than just saying your sorry. Funny how some adults don't even get that. Repentance is turning from your sin, not just doing the same thing over and over and apologizing for it.

7. A friend of ours is planning to rent our RV from us for a week next month. Just a sentence that makes me happy to type.

8. I had a dream about our house in SC two nights ago. I have been homesick ever since. I don't think we would've been happy there having never left. Now that we have, I think we could go back and be perfectly content. Of course, now it isn't an option. The grass is always greener, huh?

9. Sean is talking to his Grandpa. On the phone. With very little nagging. Another sentence that makes me happy to type. He's another reason I'm homesick. He's getting older and he's all alone and that makes me feel horrible.

10. Not a great comparison pic, but it's the only one I could find of Simon in this shirt{it is actually the same shirt, even though it may not appear so in the pictures}. The Simon version is from Thanksgiving '04, right before he turned 2. I didn't realize just how bald Titus is. The other two had lots more hair at this age. Ah well, he's saving me money on haircuts.

2 comments:

nikih said...

I drive past your old house often and miss what could have been if you were still here. I guess we are getting older and realizing that home really is where your heart is.

Jude said...

i would have eaten your burned casserole... nah, I would have mocked you, who are awe kidding? LOL ;)
glad it went well, and I KNEW Felix could count higher than 28 pffft!