Monday, December 06, 2010

10 on Tuesday

Since it's Christmas time, I thought I would do a 10 on Tuesday summing up just what I believe. It all relates to Christmas, so why not? I have friends of every faith, with views that vary widely about issues on Jesus, Hell, eternal life, etc etc. This is what I know to be true.


1. The Bible is the inerrant Word of God. It has no contradictions. 66 books written over 1,500 years by 40+men from all different walks of life, yet it tells one consistent story. The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls prove that the Bible has not changed. Sure, there are different translations, text notes and what not, but the Holy Bible has been preserved despite the attacks made against it. If God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, why do people believe He's not powerful enough to keep his Word from being tainted?

2. Jesus is the Son of God, Jesus is Lord. Not just a prophet, not just some good guy, not Satan's brother, not Michael the archangel; He stands alone, above. If you really want to go beyond just taking my word for it, here is a whole bunch of Bible verses to dive into.

3. Hell is real. On the glorious flip-side, so is Heaven. If there is no Hell, what did Jesus have to save us from?

4. Sin is personal and serious. I've heard people excuse sin by saying it's just human nature. Exactly. It is human nature to sin. Does it make it okay for you to steal something because it's human nature? Is it okay to commit adultery because everybody's doing it? It's when you look at your own sin, apart from everyone else, that you can truly appreciate the weight of the matter. This was something I didn't grasp until just a few years ago. Raised in church, Christian high school, all that jazz and I still thought of myself as a good person.

5. Religion is man made. Why are there so many religions? And within each religion, so many denominations? I personally believe religion makes a whole lotta people give up on God all together. And you can see why! The rules, the requirements, the traditions. In the end, you have to have a way to discern tradition from truth. Extra church activites are great, but when they turn into a requirement or some way to gain favor with God, it's not Biblical. Studying the history of any one religion and it's founder is usually a good way to figure out what they're up to. Knowing why they founded their religion is pretty important. One thing I find very interesting is that every major world religion has Jesus in there somehow. They can't just get rid of Him as he was a history changing person that factually walked the face of the earth. He made some pretty radical claims and you owe it to yourself to see what He was/is all about.

I've probably lost some people by this point in the post, so I'll end my beliefs part here by saying I truly, 100% believe you can have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ. He died on the cross so we could have that relationship. Our personal sin seperates us from God until we turn from that sin and place our faith in Jesus only, not adding to or taking away. You can't church your way to Heaven. You can't give enough money to get in. You can't do enough good works to get in. So that's that.

6. Yesterday was a pretty crazy day topped off by a trip to the ER with a friend and her grandson. Words I never want to hear over the phone again, "Chrissy, I need you! Come quick!" Thank God, the baby is just fine, and so is the Grandma.

7. I heard the story behind this Christmas song on the radio. I love songs with meaning. It made me think of all my buddies in Afghanistan. :/ God is not dead, nor does He sleep. No matter what is going on in this crazy place.

8. My favorite Christmas song ever. Still.

9. Simon and I talk about worship pretty often. I don't like to sing in church. I feel self conscious. I'm not the type to raise my hands and really get down with the Jesus music. I was raised Baptist, that may have something to do with it. ;) The other day on the way to church, I was telling Simon that singing in church is all about worshipping God. It's giving Him praise. It's not about the sound of our voice, but about the joy in our heart. I got choked up telling him how my Grandma Benzo used to belt it out. For her, it was true, unadulterated worship. She was all into it. I can still hear her singing Amazing Grace so unbelievably out of tune that it really does bring tears to my eyes. It was between her and her Savior and she didn't give a rip who else heard. I miss that lady. Thank you GOD that I'll see her again someday.

10. On that sad note{pun totally intended}, I am off to do something productive with my Tuesday. Something productive like...drink coffee and listen to the silence that is T's naptime before the big boys get home from school. Ahhhh silence.

2 comments:

Corey said...

Preach it, girl! I ♥ this post :) Especially #5. it resonates with me.
I'm jealous of #10. I don't get much of that anymore!

Jude said...

I LOL at the baptist line in relation to worhsip... :) I have a whole blog post about that that I never published.
I love you :)