Thursday, April 21, 2011

not yet

I have this friend. Actually, more of an acquaintance...no, no, she's a friend. She is the person in charge of making sure Felix and his little pre-K classmates get on the bus every morning. Over the course of this school year, we've talked about life in ten minute incremements while waiting on bus arrivals and departures.

She's one of those people that you just instantly like. She puts her foot in her mouth sometimes{like me!}, she says funny things that keep me chuckling on the way home, she's to the point, her name comes up in our day to day conversation in a way that implies she is not just some nice lady that works at the school.

She has three girls and a boy and her oldest is about to graduate high school. We've talked about the cost of graduation pictures{whoa! More than a wedding photographer!!} and parties and prom dresses and all that stuff that I will never have to worry about.

Today, though, Merly struck a chord. She said she was looking through the graduation pictures she took on her own{as a way to stick it to the overpriced photogs. Go ahead, girl!} and said to her daughter, "Madison, you can't go yet...I'm not done raising you." Dude, it took every fiber of my being not to bawl on her shoulder.

Just like that I was reminded that one day these kids are gonna fly the coop. I thank God every day that I still have more time with these little chickens. Our time will come, but not yet.

4 comments:

Corey said...

What a sweet story. Yep, that would have had me teary too. I've been looking through a bunch of pics the last few days and it is just so crazy how fast time flies.

Jude said...

sweetness :)

Brown English Muffin said...

Monday I couldn't wake Baby C up and I barely wanted to get out of the bed myself. So that morning I decided we weren't going any where and we stay in bed and spent the day together....

I realized that school is fast approaching and very soon I won't have the luxury of spending a quiet afternoon with her like we did that day.

Merly said...

Well, I stalked your blog until I came to this story. I can only say that in the past 18 years I've learned to savor the hugs, laugh more-and harder, turn off the tv, speak openly and often and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY for my children. Those 18 years go by at a head-spinning speed and then we have to set them free. I'll send her to college with a prayer on my lips and love bursting from my heart. Oh! And open arms for whenever she walks through our door with months worth of laundry. :0)
Savor the moments, Chrissy. Savor the moments.