Monday, June 06, 2011

10

1. Grandma is coming! Grandma is coming! Actually, by the time anybody is reading this, she's probably here! My niece is coming, too. The kids aren't going to know what to do with themselves.

2. Simon's first question Monday morning, "Can you make bedtime early tonight?" He's finally figured out that the sooner you go to sleep, the faster tomorrow comes.

3. If Grandma is here, that must mean our anniversary trip has arrived. I have not even pulled the suitcase in from the garage. After the tarantula I touched the other day moving a planter...I'm leaving that part up to Sean.

4. In one week I saw an armadillo, a road runner, a fox and a tarantula. The armadillo was dead; the road runner was huge-mongous(typically, they're a lot smaller than Warner Bros portrayed); the fox was actually sighted by Sean, just taking his word for it; the tarantula still haunts me. It took me several peeks out the door to figure out that's what it was. I moved the planter, never realizing I had disturbed it. My eyeballs just happened to settle upon it as I was closing the door. I peeked back on him several times, just to make sure he was headed away from my house, not towards it. BLECH.

5. Sean has a busy summer of TDYs coming up. So fun, considering a real deployment is a-comin'. He's excited about the possibilities and I'm actually kinda interested to see how different a second deployment is. I honestly think it's going to be so so so much easier. Knowing how quickly life gets back to normal definitely keeps the emotions in check.

6. Added to all that fun-ness, we were told the homeowner is listing our house. yaaaaaaay. Moving is my favorite thing ever. No.

7. I just have to say, AMEN to this: “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”-Maryanne Williamson

8. I actually have a whole blog post brewing in my head about Calvinism vs Arminianism. It keeps popping up at church and lifegroup and in my own meditation. It's kinda crazy ironic. Just thought I'd jot that down as I'm out of points and keep forgetting to clickity clack that post out.

9. Just finished The Whistleblower by Kathryn Bolkovac. It was a pretty good read, eye opening. I've looked into gov't contractors before as I've heard they outnumber our military in some places. It just seemed a little off to me. Turns out, I cannot find a number. There are so many contractors and the reigns on them are so loose, even our own government doesn't seem to have a consistent number. Ah well, who needs accountability when you're spending other people's money?

10. I made the Pioneer Woman's Coffee Cake as a celebration of my mom's arrival. My friend posted this and then talked about it in my presence. She's the same friend who got me hooked on these chocolate chip cookies that are positively of the devil. Hopefully, the taste of real butter will allow her eyes to gloss over enough that she won't notice half of it's gone. What can I say? If the kids can see it, the kids will eat it.

The very last ingredient was brown sugar for the topping. Of course, I only had 3/4 cup in the entire house. Of course, I have no molasses to make my own brown sugar. I sent Simon with a measuring cup to borrow some from my favorite neighbor. He came back with a tiny little snatch of sugar. He said, "Don't worry, Mr. Vic went to get some more." That man! He hopped in his truck and went to the store for me since they didn't have any to lend. That right there is why I never want to move.

I am so very, very blessed to be in this chapter of my life, surrounded by these hand picked people. Our stories are all intertwined in some pretty awesome ways. My how my views of this city have changed in just two short years. It's all about perspective.

4 comments:

JessH said...

Did you like it as well as the kids??

Corey said...

I'm so excited for you and Sean...you're going to have so much fun!
You seriously must have the best mom ever.{except for mine ;-)} I think that is so awesome that she's coming all the way to your house so you guys can have an anniversary trip. And hello, super smart too to bring your niece!
i have that Coffee Cake on my to-make list. I make this other one that is pretty similar and its SO yummy--and fattening. :p
How did your bread making go the other day? I'm going to the library today to pick up that Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day book and see how I like it.

Jill Cook (aka Jillcookie) said...

Calvinism vs. Arminianism ~ I'm looking forward to THAT blog post. Seriously, I am. I was raised Calvinist with out really realizing it. I just knew our family was Christian. As I get older (yes, I just used that phrase) I fall more and more in love with the Reformed Calvinist beliefs and am soooo thankful for the roots that I have and the teachings of John Calvin. Have you read the Heidelburg Chatechism? It's good stuff.

Jude said...

I would have peed my pants upon site of a real tarantula. YUck!
I cannot believe you have to move! How soon? :(
Start praying now for my plane tickets to come during this deployment!!
Which cookie recipe is this? Pass it on please!
Have SO MUCH FUN on your trip!!!