Thursday, July 14, 2011

3 articles(settle in)

***This post uses lots of CAPS. I am not meaning to offend in any way. Seriously, I'm not. I am extremely passionate and some things tend to get lost in translation when they're typed & read vs. spoken & heard. Please don't misconstrue my passion as belligerence.

This may be somewhat rant-y, but I just have to get some stuff out of my brain before my head explodes.

Last night, someone posted this article on FB:
Fat kids for Foster Care?(that's my title, seemed catchier than the original)

My comment:
Yikes, slippery slope. Yes, a 400lb 12 year old is extreme and there are obviously serious issues in her house, BUT...where is the line drawn? Is it at 200lbs? Is it at 150? And what about the fact that the foster care system in this country is already severely abused, mismanaged and a way for SOME whacked out people to "work the system?" Two words: Jaycee Dugard. Why must the government step in to personal issues? GRR, I could go on all night.
 
I wasn't going to add anymore than that on this post, but...I just can't grasp how anyone(especially some braniac from Harvard) would promote the foster system of America for anything. ANYTHING. They aren't capable of handling goldfish, let alone emotionally damaged, overweight children. For cryin' out loud, Casey Anthony was allowed to murder her child and get away with it! Yet, you let your kid eat too many snacky meals and away they go! I must add, it is NOT okay to let your kids get obese, I'll get to that. BUT, I do think there should be more of a reason to snatch a kid from their parents than just obesity. Especially when there isn't even an accurate record of how many obese children there are in this country b/c EVERYBODY is obese! I know there are tons of good foster parents out there, but we've all heard about the child molesters/abusers posing as model foster parents. Is it worth the emotional damage it would do to a child?
 
Moving on!
 
The day before I read the fat kid article, I read this one:
Vitamins are bad!(also my(slightly sarcastic) title)
Does anyone else see the correlations here? Yeah, this administration cares about childhood obesity<eyeroll>. They are pushing to make vitamins illegal, but by golly, that 10,000 cow blend at SmackD's is fine. Say no to Vitamin C, but we'll put french fries on the food pyramid plate(?)as a veggie so parents can feel good about feeding their 200lb 7 year old a kid's meal from their favorite drive thru. Give me a break! Is Grimace holding the new food pyramid plate?

So I was gonna keep my mouth shut and just keep all this stuff regulated to my inner rantings that I have within, but sometimes I hear something that causes all those thoughts to bubble over. Today, it came in the form of "positive and encouraging" radio.

I typically roll my eyes when they try to inject humor, banter, etc, but I truly tune out when they try to deliver "news." I only keep K-Love as my number one station b/c I never have to switch it off due to inappropriate music. I do, however, want to careen off overpasses after the 80th round of the same songs over and over and over and over. I can admit that Christian musicians, for the most part, are not known for their talent. I can't stand a song about Jesus that makes it seem as if He's our boyfriend more than the Savior of the world. I do enjoy an uplifting lil diddy that my kids can sing along to, thus, we usually have on Klove. Back to my point! The two morning hosts were guffawing back and forth about parenting adventures this morning. Pointing out that they had this image of their children always obeying and always wanting to eat their vegetables and healthy meals. The woman host whined that that just isn't how it is, even though that's all she serves them. Which leads me to...if they aren't eating what she serves, then what are they eating? Carpet fiber? Cat food?

No, liar, children DO eat what you put in front of them. I hear it CONSTANTLY, "Oh, my kids would never eat that healthy stuff." Really? Have you tried? Kids aren't dumb. Of course they'll pick the SmackD's chicken nuggets over a grilled, free range chicken breast. Of course they'll get soda over water. Of course they would choose the sprinkled up toaster rectangle over a banana. Duh, marketing! Duh, yummy taste. Kids don't get healthy vs unhealthy. Kids get TASTE and COLOR and FUN.

http://adage.com/article/news/restaurant-industry-launches-healthful-kids-meals-initiative/228707/
(I am too flustered at this point to rename this one...oh wait, how about, "Klueless on K-Love." catchy, no?)

In my house, KIDS GET WHAT I GIVE THEM. They still get choices, but they are HEALTHY choices. Why? Because I want them to live long, healthy lives. I want them to KNOW what they are putting in their gullets. I want them to understand WHY we eat the way we do. I want them to know FAST FOOD ISN'T GOOD FOR THEM. Not in moderation, not just every once in a while, NOT EVER. When is eating garbage ever okay? Don't give me moderation crap. So...it's okay if I drink gasoline in moderation? Is it okay if I smoke in moderation? Is it okay if I just take a few hits of crack? Poison is poison and if you think it's okay "every once in a while," go. Just take a seat in the Kings of the Burger and observe. Maybe take a lil notebook and a pen and make a tally sheet of obese vs non-obese, then decide.

I was so in a tither after hearing this news story. The host was all excited that 30 restaurants are making it "easy on us parents." They are joining in b/c they "care about the obesity rates in America." Sure they do.

They are all committed to offering at least one child's meal that is less than 600 calories. SIX HUNDRED CALORIES?!? That's their HEALTHY alternative! That is half of an entire days allotment of what children should be eating.

I just don't understand what adults don't get. With obesity out of control in this country, it's not about Nickelodeon playing commercials about getting outside to play. Thirty minutes of riding bikes ain't gonna cut it when you weigh 200 pounds at 12 years old. It's about choices. It is our job as parents to help guide those choices and offer healthy alternatives for our children.

I can't stand hearing, "I don't have time/I can't afford to eat that way/I don't know where to start/My kid would never..." You find time. You can afford to. You start by reading labels & avoiding the middle nine-twelve aisles of the grocery store. Your kid would if you tried.

There ya have it. I bet I lost a blog reader or two today, but I don't care anymore. The gloves are off. If I, Christina Marie, former lover of Mtn Dew, someone fully able to win a game show if it were based on candy and gummy snacks, despiser of vegetables and "hippie food" can make the change, anybody can.

Read this & listen to the short video (especially if you think my comparison of food to drugs is too far of a reach OR if you consume sucralose).

4 comments:

Melissa said...

making bookmarks of the articles now.
we have been making lots of changes around here when it comes to the food we put on the table. we are starting to juice and the pantry is getting gutted of the crap this weekend. it's gotten crazy. most of it is probably expired anyways....

i wish more people had the passion you do. it's inspiring....THANK YOU FOR SHARING :)

Allison said...

Love it. You ROCK (in all caps). The end.

Jude said...

i am never reading this blog again.
just kidding.
i was eating a rice crispy treat while i read this, and suddenly, I felt like i was talking to a cow whilst eating a hamburger ;)
i am glad you are done with mountain dew. did you know i've never even had it? not once. (don't ask about pepsi max. please.)

Brown English Muffin said...

Christina Marie....I'll just call you Chrissy!! Teehee


I want to repost this all over my facebook status for a week, heck a month...

"In my house, KIDS GET WHAT I GIVE THEM. They still get choices, but they are HEALTHY choices. Why? Because I want them to live long, healthy lives. I want them to KNOW what they are putting in their gullets. I want them to understand WHY we eat the way we do. I want them to know FAST FOOD ISN'T GOOD FOR THEM. Not in moderation, not just every once in a while, NOT EVER. When is eating garbage ever okay? Don't give me moderation crap. So...it's okay if I drink gasoline in moderation? Is it okay if I smoke in moderation? Is it okay if I just take a few hits of crack? Poison is poison and if you think it's okay "every once in a while," go. Just take a seat in the Kings of the Burger and observe. Maybe take a lil notebook and a pen and make a tally sheet of obese vs non-obese, then decide. "