Monday, August 29, 2011

aww

"I love my new teacher."-Felix, grinning at me with his little crab apple cheek bones with just a touch of pink, while looking at me from up under his super long eye-lashes.

"...and his parents, they work at home, like you...!"-Simon, telling me about the main characters parents in a super tough, very impressive, way over his head book he picked out at the library. It did my heart good to hear that. :)
"Felix, they don't teach you stuff like this in regular school. Like, it was all waaaaay easy."-Simon, to his fellow student.

He's right, the math he's learning is pretty advanced and I'm noticing habits he learned and got away with in "regular school." I hear, "It doesn't matter" and "Mrs. So&So didn't care if I did it like that," quite often.

He's caught on that this Mrs. So&So does care and does make him do it correctly, even if it means starting over.

Two weeks into this gig, I am loving it...even if every day isn't all sunshine and lollipops. Despite a few idle threats of having to "write until your hand falls off," there have definitely been more good moments than bad.

3 comments:

hsarmiento said...

Glad it is going well! How are you liking Story of the World? I bought it and we have yet to start that one.

Corey said...

awe, i'm so glad you chose to do this too, this year! I had the whole Mrs. So-n-So thing going on last year too! I can totally relate. We worked long and hard to bust through all the laziness. well...we're still busting through it! I'm feeling better now than when I wrote my post earlier. I have to remind myself that we just can not do every. single. thing. And I do not have to do it all now either.
do you do every subject every day? just curious as to your schedule :)

Jude said...

so glad it is going well!! :)