Friday, August 19, 2011

healthy, not healthy

I got quite a few responses on my last post. Mixed reviews about my stank attitude. The one that sticks out, in my mind, is the 100% honest one. If you don't have a close friend that can tell you you're being an ass, get one. So you know, I will not be that friend for you. As I mentioned before, I am a chicken and being 100% honest with people does not come naturally to me. Luckily, one of my gal pals doesn't have that problem and it's one of the things I love about her. Thanks, Bud, it was just the kick in the pants I needed.

Sean and I got into it again recently about healthy attitudes about food vs unhealthy.

Wanting to share with the world about the dangers of our food supply...healthy.
Wanting to vomit at the thought of a hotdog...not healthy.

Getting upset about a recent e. coli outbreak...healthy.
Wanting to punch an ignorant radio hostess in the face over her comments...not healthy.

Wanting the best for my kids and all the kids in the whole wide world...healthy.
Wanting to tackle the little hefty, hefty sinch sack at Jason's Deli the other day who was so morbidly obese at the ripe old age of six or seven that he could not fit down the aisles between the tables(in his defense, they squeeze a lot of tables in there)and wrestle the ice cream cone from his chubby, little sausage fingers...not healthy.

Shopping locally, organically...healthy.
Wanting to ram a mother with my shopping cart(not for the fact her four year old had a pacifier in his mouth, not for the fact that he was wearing a diaper that obviously needed changing) because her kid stood and screamed for cheetos at the top of his lungs the entire time I was in the store...not healthy.

Searching for healthy recipes I can share with friends...healthy.
Having my friends assume I think less of them because of what they eat...not healthy at all. And as a happy aside, not something I do.

My brain thinks in very broad generalizations. I have honestly never thought, "Whosawhatsit lets her kids drink soda. OMG." Seriously, I haven't. I might think it about the anonymous child walking out of Whole Foods with a 32 ounce McDs cup full of soda, but not in a way that forms a real, nasty thought towards a friend. I sincerely apologize if I've ever made any of my friends feel that way.

I don't want to be judged about my food choices, so I don't judge. When I hear people say they think fast food restaurants should be banned from America, I play devil's advocate whole heartedly. It is still about choice. If someone wants to choose fast food, they should have every right to, just as I want the right to eat farm fresh food.

When I am stirred into a whirling dervish, I get a little obnoxious. In truth, I want to tick people off enough that they'll come back at me, engage, try to defend what they're eating and end up realizing I'm right. I want people to take a giant black trash bag into their pantry and start over. What I really want...is to live in a different time. Once you see the connections between our food world, the drug industry, the government, the HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE conflicts of interests that create this giant web of deception, there's no going back.

Crappy food creates sick people who need drugs produced by the drug companies which are controlled by the government. Although, it could be the other way around as so many politicians are owned by the drug companies. Anyways, this could lead to a whole 'nother post.

In an effort to avoid coming across as an absolute know it all, I will TRY keep my opinions/sarcasm out of things from here on out. If I have something beneficial to add to my food rants, it will be articles or links or something to substantiate any claims I'm making.

I just re-read that last paragraph. I don't know if it's possible for me to withhold sarcasm or opinions. After all, it's my blog. It's where I am most honest. I'll meet myself in the middle and say...I'll try to be a little less snarky.

3 comments:

Jude said...

at least you are passionate right? ;) just kidding!

Brown English Muffin said...

I am so glad to see that last paragraph....I was about to remind you that it was YOUR blog...but at the last minute you remembered.

Reading this makes me remember that Michael Moore documentary where they explained that some country the doctors actually get a bonus each year if they keep their patients healthy as opposed to administering drugs...prevention literally pays for itself.

Ewww before I forget, tried these the other night yum, yum Skinny Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting

Dr. L said...

I just wanted to say that you are an inspiration to some of us who are lazy (me) when it comes to food prep. I've started looking at what I eat - not healthy half the time. And I think that FOOD is part of my problem is with my health, weight, emotions, etc. You've given me some things to think about over the last few months, so don't berate yourself for having an opinion. And hey! I signed up for an organic fruit co-op today and I'm looking at a farm to get fresher meat. I won't commit to eating completely organic/farm fresh, but I think I can incorporate more of it in my life. Sadly, not everyone is able to do what I can (fairly easily because of my location). Do they have organic farms in SC?