Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Happy Birthday, Felix Conrad

In lieu of Ten on Tuesday, I have a birthday post for the Feefs who has now jumped to the two handed side of age. Six years old. In my head, he's stuck at two. That's the birthday we celebrated in Seattle and I will remember it always.
Felix at one.

Today was pretty rad, too, though. The park for presents, home for lunch and a Nadler's cake. Chuck E Cheese for germs and games. Whole Foods pizza for dinner. Simple, sweet and he got a DSi from Grandma and Grandpa and that is really all he's ever needed. :D
He hasn't lost any teeth yet.
He still lets me give instructions to the barber.
He is my least needy kid.
He likes homeschooling and actually listens to me as his teacher.
Felix at two.
He is not the “squeaky wheel” in this family and very rarely gets the grease.  I catch myself coddling him for it from time to time. In reality, it’s just his personality. He just isn’t a nag and he takes no for an answer way, way more easily than his brothers.
He is either going to be one of those sons that moves away and never calls home or he is going to live in the basement until he’s 30. I see no happy median with that one. Luckily, I still have at least twelve years to work on his phone etiquette and clarifying the importance of calling yo mama at least twice a week.
On his last evening of being five, upon coming outside to enjoy the weather per my request, he bit it. Majorly. Lesson learned, do not ride a scooter in flip flops, without a helmet. OR attempt to jump it on a pebbly road, especially when you don’t really know how to jump it. It wasn’t just a skinned knee fall,  it was a face plant, possible broken nose fall.
His baby brother ate some of his candle on the way home from the grocery store. I thought for sure he understood, “candle.” Guess it is a lil close to “candy.”
He wants to be a man so he can do whatever he wants like, “play video games all day long.”

Felix at three.

A job does not factor into his equation of manhood, nor does living on his own.
He does entirely inappropriate things like respond, “I’m gonna punch you in the face,” when most people would simply say, “I love you, too.”
He’s unsure of himself, but entirely confident.
He seems to think swimming was a skill attained for just the two week period during which he had a personal instructor. He will only swim if forced to or right about the time the rest of us have had enough swimming and are ready to head home.
He overcomes fears.
Felix at four.
He tells me he loves me out of the blue, all the time.
As tough as he seems, he is the one most uncomfortable with separation.
He's still okay with holding my hand in public.
He is a constant contradiction.
He positively shines under Simon’s praise.
He misses out on things by trying to be just like his big brother. For instance, saying no when asked by our church bus driver if he wants a sticker. Then regretting not getting the sticker the entire day.
He’s socially awkward, but attracts people to him without trying.
He is so low maintenance.
He sees no point in reading.
He can beat games that Simon can’t on the DS.
He’s getting tall and lanky.
He makes the funniest faces.
He laughs when he’s in trouble.
He loves with his entire being, just has a tough time showing it.
He thinks bodily functions are the end all-be all of comedy. What boy doesn't, though, right?
He gets left out a lot.
He gets away with a lot.
He will leave something to be done til the last possible minute, knowing 9 times out of 10 Simon will do it.
He is misunderstood, greatly.
His writing is not all that neat, but he's making huge improvements.
He loves Legos.
He loves making art.

He wants Simon’s approval more than anyones.
He loves babies.
He thinks Titus is cute and tells me every day he never wants him to grow up.
I am still stopped in my tracks by his beauty.

 forgot I made this last year! Felix from a day old-five. What can I say? I'm feeling a bit nostalgic. I can't believe my middle kid is already a BIG kid. Looking through all these pictures of the Feefs makes me wonder just how done I really am(that's a message for Sean. Let's see if he really reads my blog like he says he does). :)

Back to Felix...
He says all the wrong things at all the wrong times. He will make an awesome husband.
He always gives people the benefit of the doubt. The other day, a crazy lady zoomed around us on the interstate. As I was grumbling and complaining and calling her crazy, Felix said, “Maybe she just doesn’t want to be late for life group.”
He is extremely patient , but he definitely has his limits. It takes a lot of broken lego creations to get him yelling at Titus.
He laughs. A lot. It’s musical and wonderful and contagious.
He loves Snapea Crisps. 
I don’t know how in the world we’re six years into this thing.
He starts off every day with a smile, happy as a clam.
He sees connections that other people miss.
He loves God and Jesus and is starting to grasp some pretty profound things.
His attention span isn't very long.
He's competetive.
He has a great complexion and tans better than anyone in the family.
Felix at six.
If every kid was a Felix,
this world would be a happier place.

6 comments:

Jude said...

Happy Birthday Felix!!! We love you bunches!

Corey said...

Happy Birthday Felix!!!

Kolt and Susannah said...

Aw, happy birthday, kid. I forgot his was so close to mine. I'm struck by how much he Titus looks like him at 2. Wish I could have been there to celebrate the day.

Brown English Muffin said...

Ughhh makes your heart melt that post...but Chrissy...oh my lord if he didn't look like T when he was 1 and 2...I had to stare really hard....then of course I scrolled down and totally got distracted by that "Cost of War" thing constantly moving...that's crazy that it's moving that fast geez....I'm still staring..sorry..please bare with me a moment....oh yeah...him not being needy...totally that middle child thing...I think he also has the biggest personality out of all your kids too..at least that's what I get from your blog...you know that blog that you're thinking about quitting *shrugs and walks away*

Brown English Muffin said...

Oh crap I'm back...happy birthday Felix!!!

nicole said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Felix...i always think of him as the age he was when you were in seattle too...crazy that he is already six...and looks like such a BOY.