Thursday, October 06, 2011

Delightful

I woke up shivering this morning. I can’t explain to you non-Texans just what a feeling this is. After months of 100 degree days, to wake up chilly is straight up delightful. I turned the AC off. Amazing how many sounds one hears when the white noise of the AC goes away. It’s like a whole new world. I heard puppies barking and birds chirping and suddenly the need to break out in song was overwhelming. Delightful, I tell you.

After school, we headed to the park for a picnic. At noon. To be able to go to the park at noon and stay for two hours…delightful.  We didn’t leave because it got too hot, we left because we ran out of things to do. That’s never happened before. Not here. Even Sean and I got in on the running about. It’s amazing what a refreshing Fall day will do for the spirit. We played “Mr. Wolf, what time is it?” for quite some time and then gave up, only when Tito seemed drained. Drained due to exhaustion, not due to heat.
There was a brief reprieve from delight, mid-afternoon. I had a stint of claustrophobia induced b-wordness, but got over it pretty quickly. I just needed people to get up off me.
Dinner preparation brought back the delight.
Teriyaki chicken
Rosemary  potato cakes with onions and black forest bacon
Butternut squash, also with onions and bacon…don’t judge

Hard to be disgruntled with that in yo belly.
The kids caught on to the delightfulness of the evening and Simon asked, "Did we get in trouble for anything today?" I had to really think on the question. Surely, surely all three did not go an entire day without being called down for something...I drew a blank.
To top off a delightful day, I was witness to the most beautiful sunset I’ve ever witnessed in all 28 years 359 days of my life. It was one of those sunsets that could never be captured by camera or paintbrush. I couldn’t stop staring. It was like the sun rays you draw as a kid. Each ray was it’s own individual line of pink and yellow. I thought about getting the kids from inside, but I didn’t want to miss a second of it. I walked and stared and was giddy with the sense that it was just for me. There were a few other folks out and about around the park, but no one else seemed to notice.
My own personal sunset. So amazing. So wondrous. So delightful.

After tucking the wee ones away, Sean and I partook in the lamest card gave ever. It even has a dumb name, Euchre? What the heck. After a bazillion rounds, I never did see the point. Somehow, Sean kept getting two points and I kept getting one, even if the scenarios were identical. Dumb game, but delightful in the sense that I was laughing with the man and talking smack even while losing. Good times, good times.

de
light
ful
I wrote up this post a couple days ago and never got around to posting it. We now have wi-fi. Consistently, strongly, conveniently...dare I say, delightfully? It's gonna be a double post kinda evening.

3 comments:

Jude said...

dee-light-full...

Kolt and Susannah said...

Euchre is much more fun with 4 people :)

i'm glad it's getting cooler there, and happy you've had so many good days. It's important to stock up on those while you can!

Corey said...

those boys are so, so handsome. :) And I want to have dinner at your house. your dinners always sound so good!