Saturday, October 29, 2011

Truth

"Chrissy did you ever imagine you'd be such a strong influence with your normal day thoughts and words?
I'm still to this day loving my food life change and don't miss fast food one bit....yet! LOL"-Brown English Muffin

My friend left this comment a few posts ago and I haven't really known what to do with it since. It's flattering, for sure. I don't consider myself a strong influence because I'm just a normal person, muddling my way through this life, longing for what's next. When I find truth, I have a desire to share it with others. About food, about life, about whatever.

When it comes to faith, however, I am commanded to share it. I fall short on that one every single day of my life. I am a Christian. I am a follower of Christ. I am not a religious person, I don't like religion. I think religion has botched up so many things that it gives the Savior of this world a terrible name. There are a lot of religions that are similar, there are a lot that have piddly little difference and there are a lot that have ginormous differences. To me, religion is Satan's most powerful tool. If he can keep professing believers in the ring, duking it out, Truth never makes it beyond the ropes. The problem is that while so many people are busy playing church, they themselves don't even know the Truth.

One thing I have really, really been struggling with over the past few years is the watered down Gospel.

The analogy Paul Washer gave in the video I posted made a lot of sense to me. There are people starving out there! A bologna sandwich stinks. It's ugly, not all that healthy and is plain and simple. But to a starving man, it is perfect. I want to be someone handing out bologna sandwiches. I don't want to run home and prepare him a beautiful meal. I'll get busy. I'll get distracted. I'll forget what my purpose was. All the while, the poor man is back on the street corner, starving to death.

The Gospel is simple. It doesn't need to be beautified any more than it already is. It just needs to be given. Why do so many churches have to wrap it in a bow of coffee shops and big bands and fancy lighting? Preachers give messages on how to be a better parent, a better spouse, better with finances, better ways to serve their church. All of which are important, but to what extent?

What about the Bible? What about eternity?

In this day and age of anything goes, the Church needs to be equipped. I can't tell you how often I hear, "Well, to me, God..." or "I don't think God..." The Bible answers those questions. The Bible tells us. It doesn't matter what we think, it matters what is. Truth is there.

Being a Christian isn't about being "religious" or going to church. It's about realizing who you are and who God is, a righteous and holy Judge. Recognizing your sin, personally, for what it is. Repenting, turning from your sin. Placing your trust in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. That's it. So many religions add to or take away from that, from the Bible. There is historical accuracy in the Bible. There are no contradictions. There are outside sources that verify the events. Now what do you do with it? It's not based on what someone tells you to say or think or do, it's based on a work of God.

I found this video the other day while link hopping. It is...I don't know. It shook me. It rattled me. It made me think. It made me a little sick to my stomach. In the end, it is the truth. And what matters? How I feel or the Truth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU8c1N-7Xk8

3 comments:

Jude said...

so, are you saying you eat bologna now? ;)

Brown English Muffin said...

Oh god...now I feel totally weird....I'm reading your blogs backwards...and I just left a comment on another post about questioning if you are an apostle...and then I get to this post and well...you know what I mean....anyway I'm not done reading yet let me go and finish reading....it was just totally totally surreal is all and I had to comment before even finishing reading....wow!!!

Brown English Muffin said...

Funny how people don't see how distorted religion is now....shame...