Tuesday, November 22, 2011

22NOV

I'm thankful that the Bible addresses the simple things, too. Well, seemingly simple, but actually quite huge.

I've been struggling with an issue lately that I need to write down. It's something we all struggle with. I was chatting with a friend last night that was hurt by this very issue.

Talking.
Back-stabbing.
Venting.
Slandering.
Call it what you may.

It's part of our sin nature. It's something I'm working on overcoming. When I think a bad thought about someone or have the gut reaction to say something behind their back, I go to Eph 4:29-32:

"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you."

Read that again. If you think it doesn't apply to you, read it again. And then again. And maybe one more time, slowly, for good measure.

No one is fully compatible. Everyone is going to have issues with someone. Co-workers, family members, spouses, friends, family members. People feel offended or hurt by someone and they think it justifies talking bad about them. I'm guilty of it and I know I'm not unique in that.

When I was texting back and forth with my friend last night, I was stopped in my tracks again by the fact that it was happening again within a family. FAMILY!

The Bible tells us that we're supposed to love our enemies, how much more should we love our family?!

In Luke 6:27-36, Jesus(it's in RED, just sayin'...) addresses this little tidbit of humanity again. He gives us a few verbs pertaining to our enemies. Enemies, I say(err, He says)! Love, do good, bless and pray for enemies. Should there be any confusion, enemies encompass "those who hate you, curse you, spitefully use you, strike you."

In vs 32...If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.

You're in charge of your mouth. Words are powerful. Use them to build up, not tear down. Imagine every word you speak about someone getting back to them. Would it crush their spirit? It's not just "words to live by," it's the Word of God.

Filed under: notes to self.

1 comment:

Corey said...

we were talking about this VERY THING this weekend at church. it is so easy to slip into. sometimes you don't even realize your doing it---or saying it. like you said, if we don't think this applies to us----seriously, take a look in the mirror. we're all guilty.
Anyway, it's something I'm working on personally as well. Thank you for the reminder :)