Thursday, December 15, 2011

What do I have to gain?

Truth is not what you want it to be, truth is truth.

Buying groceries is fairly simple. Relocating shouldn't affect that. Unless, of course, you buy local. Back home, I have/had relationships with my farmers. I had a few organic-ish grocery stores at my disposal. Returning to the land that time forgot has been a bit difficult as far as finding good food is concerned. There are a few stores that have organic sections, but the small town feel is definitely front and center when it comes to tracking down good food.

I've had a few awkward moments when it comes to stating my opinions about such things. When I open my big mouth and proclaim a fact about an ingredient. When I try to say something nicely but fail miserably. I am not a confrontational person. I tend to just "let things go." Well, I used to. When it comes to what I put into my body and my kids bodies, I'm quite vocal. I believe so strongly in the consequences of bad food choices that I am compelled to speak out.

It isn't up to me what other people choose to eat. I hope to be a positive influence, but I understand people have to make their own choices. This is not a fad for me. This isn't just something I like to do, this eating real food thing. I wish I was still in my blissful bubble of ignorance about things like high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated, mono glycerides, words that you need a bio-chem degree to understand. That's not true. I'm glad I know what I know. I can admit that I don't know everything. I've barely scratched the surface of all that there is to know about our food supply. I get that.

What I do know is that processed foods are killing people. What I do know is that not only are we affected physically by what we consume, but mentally. What I do know is that I have never felt as if I'm missing out by not consuming the crap I used to call food. What I do know is that when I'm attempting to find a diamond in the rough of a chain grocery store, I want to scream. What I do know is that people are busy and short on time and cash. What I do know is that the average American doesn't really have the extras to devote to investigating what goes into their grocery cart. What I do know is that the food industry has done a marvelous job of fooling us. The marketing, from the pretty colors on the packaging to the way it's displayed in the grocery store serves one purpose: to get the consumers money. What I do know is that it just makes sense. What I do know is that the chemistry behind these food additives is so involved that they are counting on people not taking the time to investigate. What I do know is that every single day I hear a story that confirms this truth. What I do know is that when I hear about a person being diagnosed with a disease my first thought is wondering about their lifestyle as far as food/medication are concerned.

So when I get on a rant, gentle or boisterous as it may be, it's not out of anything but love. What do I have to gain? What is in it for me by telling others to care about what they're putting into their bodies?

Think about that for a second. It goes so far beyond just food. It comes down to Truth on very many levels. What do I care if you eat locally grown? What do I care if you eat foods that last five years on the shelf? What do I care if you Big Dubbie cakes and Frato pies? What do I care?

I care because I love people. The people I am most passionate towards are the ones I love the most. I actually cry about this stuff. It's a passion to see my loved ones healthy. It's not a pride issue or a matter of having to be right. It's a matter of having connected the dots and wanting to spread the facts in hopes of change. I am compelled to share the Truth in more aspects of my life than just food.

By God, I am going to speak the Truth. I will not water it down. There are people who recognize a problem and ignore it and there are people who recognize a problem and fix it. I'm just trying to do what I can to push more folks into that second category.

1 comment:

Brown English Muffin said...

You have no idea how much I love you for speaking the truth.....hmm well maybe you do k now as every 5 seconds I feel as if I am singing your praises to anyone who will listen!!!

It's funny...it really isn't a phase you go through at least not for us...I mean don't get me know there are times we break down and go out to eat and pretend we have no clue where they're getting their food...but Mc D's is still not calling us in so it's not that bad to us.

I only understand high fructose syrup I don't understand the hydrogenated etc unless I go find a dictionary and totally get lost in the explanations!!!