Sunday, January 15, 2012

2 Tim 1:7

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. NKJV

Other translations say, "self discipline" as a synonym for sound mind.

That's Timothy, from the Bible, the Word of God. The Holy Scripture. God's "love letter" to his children, some say. It's the Book I, as a Christian, live by. It's something I dive into every single day of my life. Well, err, almost every single day. I don't just skim it or read it casually. I study it. I read commentary. I cross reference. I have a hunger for Truth.

I am not a Sunday morning only Christian. In fact, I rarely go to church these days thanks to circumstances and never being able to get three children + me ready to go before noon. Christianity is not church attendance. Anyways, that wasn't the point of this post.

The point is that I've heard people say things in regards to food that brings God into it. My dairy farmer back home made the statement, "This has nothing to do with God," in regards to a situation we discussed. I think he's wrong and I told him so. *sigh* I miss him...I think the way we eat has a lot to do with God. After all, HE is the one that gave us the food, right? The food we should eat? God gave us fruit and nuts, man gave us high fructose corn syrup and preservatives. God gave us roots and herbs, man gave us Big Pharma and corporate greed.

Mostly, though, God gave us and gives us CHOICE. Timothy says he gives us a spirit of power, love and a sound mind. God gives us the ability to think, choose and decide. About everything, but for this post, I'm talking about what we put into our bodies.

Sean had a co-worker once that said as long as she prayed over her food she didn't worry about it. Really? By her reasoning, I could shove a chunk of raw chicken in my mouth and "God's got it covered." How is that biblical? I truly want to know. If I'm wrong about this, I hope someone will call me out on it. I'm not saying God can't do it, I'm asking how it makes sense. That's like saying I'm going to jump off a cliff and pray that God gives me a soft landing. I mean, He can, but why would he reward stupidity?

I really don't like it when people use God as a scapegoat. God gives us information, it's our job to use it. It's not a trust issue. For example, if one has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, weight issues and/or any other health issues...should that person maybe excercise, change the way they eat? OR...should they just "trust in God" about it? I'd say both.

The point to all of this is that the way we eat shouldn't be about living forever or trying to avoid Alzheimers when we're old. It should be about being healthy! Making good choices. Truly living life! Is the white bread and soda worth the diabetes? Is the steady stream of sugar and microwaved foods worth obesity? I may just get taken out by a Chilean, non-organic, produce truck, but I'm still going to eat the way God intended. He gave us an abundant supply of food, right in our own back yard, that is good for us.

Eat it.

1 comment:

Jude said...

I think you have to be very careful comparing the way people decide to eat with their spiritual walk. I am not condoning gluttony, or carelessness, but if we are not cautious, food can become a new form of legalism. How organic is organic is organic enough? How much high fructose can we have before its sinful?
There are so many loopholes in the system, that simply buying things locally with the "organic" label thrown on them is not always different. I am not trying to fuss at you, and hope its not coming across as such, but taken to its extreme, someone could fault you and I for exposing our kids to cell phones waves, driving them in a car that uses cancer causing gas, and do we use AC? Freon is just as dangerous as sevin dusting your squash.
I get what you are saying, but we must look at our lives as a whole, not in part. its not just about what food we eat... its about what we read, what we watch on tv, how we spend our time, how we love our family and neighbors, how we treat the orphans and widows, etc. etc. etc.
Does this make sense, and not sound snarky? You know I am not meaning it to be!! :)