Sunday, January 22, 2012

On food

Again, I know.
My sister in law asked me to give her a list of things to avoid. How can I put it into a list?! I'll try.

Maybe a list of lists?

Here's a good one, but if you're just starting out, you'll have to read labels of everything you pick up. Who has time for that?

Food additives to avoid

A simple list, but it's very specific. Though, I won't ever drink a StarBs Venti white chocolate mocha ever again. Worse than a McDs 1/4lber with cheese? Are you kidding me?!

A good list from a site I visit from time to time.

Another good list from Mercola.com, my go-to site for health/food related info.

My personal list of foods we don't buy and don't budge on:
1-Soda & juice-no nutritional value. ASIDE from the sugar(excuse me, high fructose corn syrup), there are so many additives that have horrible consequences. It is NOT just about being fat or skinny. It's bad for more than just your waistline.

2-store bought meat-get it from the farmer. I'm telling you, it's worth the little bit of hassle and the extra money.

3-store bought milk, even the organic

4-store bought eggs-buy one dozen from a local farmer and you'll see why. I could post a bazillion articles, but nothing but experience will convince you that store bought eggs just can't even compete.

5-processed foods. I know this is so broad, but I don't even go to the middle aisles of the grocery store. I do not buy food in boxes. IF I buy crackers, it's very rare and usually an impulse buy. I'll do organic wheat crackers or WASA flatbread crackers. For chips, we do organic blue corn tortilla chips. That's it. Weird, huh?

6- anything with high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, artificial dyes and SOY. Soy is a redflag word to me. Soy of any kind, though I have to make exceptions for this one every once in a while. It's in EVERYTHING.

So what do we eat? I've been meaning to do a "day in the life" post about food, but haven't gotten around to it.

I urge you to look at the ingredients in a box of cereal, even the organic ones. I tell my kids all the time, "Just because it's labeled organic, doesn't mean it's good for you." Processed food is processed food. For breakfast, usually our biggest meal, we eat:
yogurt
toast
fruit
granola
English muffins(Ezekiel 4:9 or Rudi's)
eggs
pancakes with pure maple syrup

For lunch:
English muffin pizza
pasta with olive oil and parm
grilled cheese(meunster cheese is our favorite)
tortilla pizza
eggs
salad
PBJs

For dinner:
Dinner is the same as always, just with better ingredients.

We drink:
water
milk
very, very occasionally, we drink sweet tea

Staples:
organic cane sugar
local, raw honey
bulk items like coconut, beans(kidney, pinto and black turtle), raw almonds, raw cashews
organic salad/spinach
organic peanut butter and jelly
Rudi's nut and oat bread

There's more to it, but there's a tiny little slice. It really is more simple than regular grocery shopping because you're cutting out 90% of the junk. True, you have to track down some things, but in the end, it just feels like regular ole grocery shopping. It's worth the effort, I promise. Hope this helps!

2 comments:

jessica said...

'cause I love to stoke a good fire... :)

http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html
a bit more blunt of an article on milk: http://www.rense.com/general26/milk.htm

In the interest of full disclosure, I am still buying dairy products (although I have tightly reigned it in as I dig!). Pretty fascinating to me to trace back how and why we do what we do, daily, and as a matter of course with little or no cognitive thought... Mind boggling :)

Corey said...

i love that you wrote what you guys actually eat and the staple items that you have on hand. i like the lists of what not to buy too
thanks!