Saturday, March 10, 2012

Peak 8

Sean mentioned Peak 8 a while ago. I mean, many whiles ago. As in, he was doing Peak 8 when we were still in a house in San Antonio.

I, being the hater of all things exercise, mostly ignored him. I did hold a stop watch for him once.

A year-ish later, here I am. I caught an infomercial at some point in my insomnia this morning. It happened to be about some Brazilian butt workout. O-o There's some uplifting television, lemme tell ya.

As of late, I've been consuming obnoxious amounts of bread. Loaves. Loaves of bread are eaten by me. That may be a slight exaggeration, but given the Artisan bread baking going on 'round here + my new found love of scones...it ain't hot.

I've never felt guilt over eating. It's just not something I've ever really worried about. I don't say that in a way that should make anyone want to hurt me, but I just have some freakish metabolism that I can only attribute to the good Lord above. He figured I'd be a lazy one and gave me almost 30 years of good metabolism.

That special favor from Heaven must've come with an expiration date. That, or I've never eaten so many carbs in such a short period of time. Either way, I decided today was the day I'd try Peak 8.

Problem #1: I thought it was called Peak 9.
Problem #2: I didn't take the time to look it up before I pulled the treadmill out.
Problem #3: Pandora crapped out while I was running. Brett Dennen just quit 30 seconds in to song number 2. Exercising with no music?!
Problem #4: relating to Problem #1, I couldn't remember how long to run/walk, so I just went with my jiggly gut.
Problem #5: My gut was wrong. I was running for too long and not walking long enough to catch my breath. That said, I stuck with it. I succeeded. I intially thought I'd failed as I couldn't run another segment, but considering I thought it was Peak 9, hearing the magic 8 made me feel pretty rad.

According to Dr. Mercola:
  • It will be relatively hard to breathe and talk because you are in oxygen debt(cHECK, yeah)

  • You will start to sweat profusely. Typically this occurs in the second or third repetition unless you have a thyroid issue and don't sweat much normally. (Oh, good. It's normal.)

  • Your body temperature will rise(I thought I'd jump started menopause with all the hot flashes)

  • Lactic acid increases and you will feel a muscle "burn"(Does not being able to walk count?)


  • I try to get this form of exercise in by simply playing with the kids every day. The only problem with that is someone inevitably interrupts. Whether it be a light, brotherly tackle; someone getting hit in the face by a swinging sibling; or sour sports that require a chat...a full workout ain't happenin'.

    In this article, the doctor also recommends:

  • Get a good night's sleep (that hasn't happened in about, oh, 4 months or so. I bought tea today...).

  • Avoid a high fat meal prior to exercising (I ate salad!)
  • Drink plenty of water (check)

  • Eat healthy carbs (think vegetables) and high quality protein (I ate salad! With raw walnuts, boiled egg, just a tiny splash of balsamic vinegrette and a pinch of good cheese, so...check, check, checkcheckcheck).

  • Optimize your vitamin D levels (oooh, I'm out of my D3. Sean said Sprouts in S.A. has been out of our go-to D3 for over a month. Need some now and MUST stock pile once we're settled).

  • Avoid sugar, especially fructose (The one that gets me. I am just a teensy bit in love with sugar. Who isn't? I mean, at least I'm not consuming HFCS in any way, shape, or form, but I am still consuming sugar. Not sure how to combat this one. I plan to start using honey more often, but as far as kicking sugar, it's just not going to happen. I do a pretty good job of staying in the recommended 25-30grams/day, but that's tough. I used to drink half of that in my first cup of coffee! I now do just a tiny little teaspoon of cane sugar+half&half instead of flavored creamer.).



  • Any advice on how you have reduced sugar intake??

    No comments: