Sunday, May 13, 2012

I get it.

"I don't want you to get famous."- I said.
"That's what I'm tryin' to do."-Simon replied, matter-of-factly.
"But famous people get weird and lose sight of what's important. They forget the small people, like their mamas."-I tried.
"Well I ain't joinin' the military."-he gave back, a bit bitingly. "I'm going to build a house and live in it my whole life. I'm not moving all the time."

With that, he walked out of the room quietly with a wisdom I didn't know he had. With unresolved anger toward an entity he knows nothing about. With moisture in his eyes. Not of sad tears, but angry tears.

And my heart broke.

I get it, kiddo, but there's not a stinking thing I can do about it.

3 comments:

Jude said...

:(
such a heart tugger.

Corey said...

this made me tear up a bit :(

Anonymous said...

Simon, we know how you feel sweety! Don't worry...this family is a very mobile family! We make home where our family is-we'll be up to steal your bed from you and make you sleep on the floor soon enough...then you'll love to be the kid that moves! Love,
Aunt Niki