Friday, June 01, 2012

entertaining strangers

"having a reputation for good works; and if she has brought up children, if she has shown hospitality to strangers, if she has washed the saints' feet, if she has assisted those in distress, and if she has devoted herself to every good work." 1TIM 5:10

There are a bunch of Bible verses regarding hospitality. It's something I haven't always been all that diligent about. Not for any particular reason, I'm just not great at hosting guests beyond a typical dinner or chat.

The Bible verse above came to mind a few weeks ago when my dad asked if his buddy could crash in our basement. Considering I didn't know the guy, we'd only been moved in a week and he was coming for a bike rally, I thought about saying no. Instead, an enthusiastic, "Sure!" came out. I mean, he's my dad's friend, how bad could he be? :)


Ted and Tom were an absolute trip. We had so much fun hanging out with them. They befriended our next door neighbor (a fellow biker) so we got the opportunity to meet them and have a cookout.
We learned that one of Tom's(on the right) bucket list items was to salute the Marine. The picture alone makes me tear up, but Ted(on the left) telling the story of how they got there and why the Marine is standing there melts my heart.
After the rally, they heard Simon playing from the basement and came up for a show. Simon got to jam with Tom for a bit and learned "Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan. Hearing my kid play alongside this grown man did my heart proud. Hearing validation from someone who so obviously knows what they're doing made his day.
At the cookout, Ted gave me some words of wisdom about my boys. He is a father to three grown boys and what he said has stuck with me. Valuable insight from a wonderful man. Every time I go to yell at the big kids, "Just give him what he wants so he'll stop whining," I think about the 21 year old basement dweller Titus could potentially grow up to be and I parent accordingly.

Before they left, they offered to give us all rides. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more. I have a picture of me on the bike, but I look like such an absolute moron, it will never be posted here. I was nothing of those cool biker chicks you see. :)

This guy appreciated it more than anyone.


As they drove away(with Titus sobbing at the window-he forms attachments quickly), I said to Sean, "Aren't you glad we said yes about them staying here?!" So glad to have stepped outside my comfort zone to be rewarded with two new friends.

The calendar is open! We're ready for more houseguests.

1 comment:

Jude said...

LOVE this post! Everything about it! I want to see that bike photo though :)