Monday, June 11, 2012

Play on

I don't want Simon to ever think we're only proud of him because of his ability to perform. I am proud of his mad skills on the guitar, but there are so many more reasons I am proud of that boy. You have to listen to "Hey Jude" first to truly appreciate the second song, HIS song that he came up with.

Simon, just like when we talked about Solomon...keep playin', Kiddo, but use your talent for His glory. I am so very proud of you for this and...

because you look people in the eye when you speak to them.
because you can carry your own weight in a conversation with an adult.
because you converse with adults!
because you pray for the little girl at Nicolas's church every single night. Even though you never met her. Even though you don't know her story.
because you buckle Titus in when we get in the car.
because you include Felix when nobody else does.
because you show restraint when other older brothers would tackle and pummel.
because you absorb, truly absorb, the Word of God.
because you accept constructive criticism with a positive attitude and use it to your benefit.
because you have the self awareness to know when you've crossed the line.
because you aren't scared to share the Good News with people.
because you are a positive role model to younger kids.
because you are kind.
because you are respectful.
because you...are you.

A funny story I want to remember...In Sunday school, your teacher was telling you about arranged marriages. She said in the times of Isaac and Rebecca, the parents would go out and find a wife for their son. She asked, "How many of you would want your parents finding you a wife?" Apparently, you were the only one to raise your hand. While I'm flattered you trust your Dad and I so much, I think you just want a wife and don't care how you get her. :) I did mention that you have to wait at least fifteen years before you start looking. You asked how old I was when I got married. I almost answered, "Well played, Kid." Instead I answered, "35."

We pray for your future wife a lot. We pray that her parents are raising her in a way that prepares her heart for marriage. We pray they are showing her what a healthy marriage looks like.

Tonight, before we prayed for her, I said, "It doesn't matter what she looks like. It doesn't matter if she's fat or skinny. It doesn't matter if she has straight hair or curly hair..."

You interrupted, "I can always straighten her hair." As if there's something wrong with curly hair.

I continued, "It doesn't matter if she's black or white or Hispanic or Chinese, she just needs to love Jesus more than she loves you."

You interrupted again with, "But she has to speak English. I don't understand Spanish!"

3 comments:

Sarmiento Family said...

AWESOME job, Simon!!!

Corey said...

So, so awesome!! I love his song. And it appears Sean has some mad skills too :D
Very, very cool. Keep it up Simon!

Kimberly White said...

Awesome!