Friday, December 14, 2012

Luke 10:27:
‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’[a] and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’

Deut 6:5: 

You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

Mark 12:30

And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.

I've had a few people ask me recently where we stand on the whole Santa issue. 


"Do your kids believe?" 


In the question, lies my issue. Belief. 


My simple answer, "No." When pushed to give a reason why, I recently answered, "Because it stopped being fun." The conversation was interrupted by food arriving at the table. :) My complete answer is that it didn't stop being fun(enjoyable), it stopped being fun(childhood enjoyment of a mythical being). I'm not talking about our personal belief in Santa, so much as the world's. It has gone so far beyond fun, that it has turned into an unhealthy belief. A worship. 


Santa is the reason for Christmas and Jesus is just the cute, baby icing we put on the cake. Santa is wallpapered throughout our homes, on every piece of decor and we may hum a lil diddy about Jesus at some point during the season. Santa is welcome in all aspects of the holiday, but keep Jesus behind the church fence. Santa and Holiday trees are in every movie, cartoon, and advertisement, but Jesus is not welcome in all these places. I challenge you, next time you hear a known Christian Christmas song on secular television, pay close attention to the editing. This week, I caught four different edits in ONE DAY that stopped the songs before any mention of Christ. No joke. 


To hear, "I don't like the religiosity of Christmas," sickens me. If not for Christ, there would be no Christmas. 


My final reason for giving the fat man the ole boot, see verses above. If I am to give God my all, how can I expect Him to share His throne with a mythical being on the day we celebrate His birthday? 


Moving on, so I can get these thoughts out before my head explodes.


Today, our country experienced another tragic school shooting. I am baffled by the surprise. I am not baffled by the reactions. They are typical reactions that we, as humans, experience when something so senseless occurs. It's sad that these things happen often enough that we have a typical reaction. 


At school, we learn that there is no God.
At school, we are told that our personal beliefs do not matter.
Everyone is right.
There is no wrong.
Answers are subjective.
Behavior is okay as long as we follow our feelings.
Laws are man made and man can be wrong.
We come from monkeys.
There's no such thing as conscience.
There is no higher power that we will have to answer to.
There is always something or someone to blame for our own personal actions.
We buy "harmless" video games and let the tv raise our kids.
We blame parents.
We blame upbringing.
We blame where we live.
We blame lead paint.
We blame pollution and global warming.
We blame guns.
We blame lawmakers.
We throw more tax payer money at ________, with the hopes it will remedy tragedy.

There is no personal responsibility for our actions.

And then there is shock and surprise when something horrific happens?

There are broken hearted parents weeping themselves to sleep tonight because of sin. A sinful man sinned in the most atrocious, cold hearted way. People are outraged, understandably so. People who typically deny God's existence are the first one's asking where He was?


Where was He? The same place He always is; reigning on His throne.


Something I didn't understand before I became a Christian is that Satan is in control of this world. We are not good. We are sin embodied. We are no better than anyone. If not for the restraining power of God, we would all be as insane as this fruit loop in Connecticut. If we were released from our conscience for just a minute, what would we truly be capable of?


I have so much more to say, but I have three little hugs to collect.






2 comments:

MadHatter said...

Amen and amen

Corey said...

so much to say...but mostly just..I agree!