Sunday, January 27, 2013

emotional

So there's this blog that I read...

I don't comment because I don't know this person in real life(and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to commenting).

She's a pretty awesome photographer and I would love to be able to get into her head and camera to see the hows and the whys of what she does. She teaches a class online and it's on my "When Sean finally finishes school/we're out of debt" list.  Or perhaps it'll be a gift to myself for birthing a fourth man child. Or maybe a gift to myself when Sean deploys again.

She is giving away a seat in her class right now, though, so I'm taking a stab at it.

I usually don't try for things like this. The last thing I won in a drawing was a Peter Rabbit dry erase board when I was ten. And the details are a bit sketchy, but I don't believe I actually won it. Anyways, it's worth a shot, right?

She wants emotionally perfect pictures over technically perfect ones...This one still makes me cry. It's crap as far as composition, but I can still feel the emotion of the moment. I hear the people in the terminal clapping. I hear Byron shouting, "Welcome home, Mom!"

I was there to take pictures for another friend, so I was shooting two home comings at once. In airport lighting. Not technically having a clue what I was doing, mostly using the camera to hide my snot smeared, tear streaked face.

The picture of the mama in camo isn't quite as personal as this next one. But, Simon took it, so I wasn't sure if it would count or not for the entry. I tweaked the settings and handed him the camera, but I can't believe he caught the moment. He was seven at the time. :)

This was just a few minutes before Sean boarded his own plane to Afghanistan. It makes me feel a little barfy knowing we'll do it again. And again. And again. 
Anyways, those are my emotional vs technical pictures. Can't get much more technically crap than airport lighting. Can't get much more emotionally perfect than the worst day of your life. I can't think of anything else to say about 'em. 

I think I'll go give Sean a smooch. :D


2 comments:

rhonda: alpha dog said...

Ah! You're breaking my heart with the last photo. :-(

Thus, you should win that spot in the class!

Corey said...

I promise this will be the best class you've ever taken. Karen is awesome.
I am praying you win a spot!! You SO deserve it.