Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Truth

A friend of mine pinned these articles and I can't get the facts out of my head. Actually, it's my heart that hurts, not my head. Heartbreaking and devastating and the terms of this issue are thrown around much too loosely, in my opinion. This subject has been politicized and talking heads bat it around like a fuzzy orange.  The diatribe is tossed back and forth, but the issue itself is largely ignored. Irony is laughable when one point(the murder of children) is used in defense of an issue(gun control), but not an equally terrible, albeit on a much grander scale, side of the same coin(abortion). Name calling and hypotheticals play into the subject matter too deeply and the reality is missed. Please, please read these articles. They are the best I've ever read on the subject. Not judgemental, not political, really, just facts. No matter which side you fall on, the TRUTH is what matters. Remove any bias that you have and just absorb what is being said. I promise you, the truth in these articles will stick with you. *Spoiler alert, neither article is about food.

1-We Know They Are Killing Children

2-Cripplegate

3-I love to watch my husband challenge people. Note to world: if Sean opens his mouth about an issue and you disagree, have facts to back up your viewpoint. The man is a freakload of a wealth of knowledge. He has some style of learning that allows him to read something once and memorize it. Not only memorize it, but reiterate it in a way that makes sense. It really is fascinating. In this hypersensitive society where the options are to ignore what's being said or "like" it social media style, to see one engage in debate...nothing like it! He challenges people. Especially when the challenger gives off the, "He's just a nurse," vibe. There's no stopping him when he feels patronized. I wish I could be more like him.

4-I used to buy in bulk to stay ahead or save money. Now, I buy in bulk to keep these boys fed. I can only imagine what our grocery bill will look like when they are teenagers.

5-Speaking of, Sean wrapped up our year end budget a few weeks ago. It's the first year we've kept and stuck with a recordable budget. When he asked me to guess what we(I) spent for groceries on average this year, I got a little nervous. We've been eating locally, organically for going on three years, but this was the first year I was diehard and it was documented to a T. In the end, we spent $150 LESS per month than we did last time we attempted a budget, five years ago. Given INFLATION; given the difference in quality of food; given the fact that we used to eat out 90% more than we do now; given that we have an additional kid; $150 less I count a HUGE, gratifying, in-your-face success. To all those naysayers who call people like me elitists or use the excuse that organic food is too expensive, I can now say, "Actually..."

6-It was six degrees when we woke up this morning. Now I know why people move south and never leave.

7-I can't get over the first two points on this post. I accidentally watched the local news to find out if they can shake their magic 8 ball and predict snow tomorrow or not. Doesn't matter, either way, they're always wrong. Much like yesterday when I tried to catch the weather, it was more coverage of the Emmy's Inauguration. They did give a second or two homage to the 40th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade.   I just can't grasp it. They talk about this huge, huge thing like it's just another piece of news. Is that what human life has become? Maybe I'm sickened because I don't truly stop and dwell on it all that often. I have babies. I have never been a pregnant teen. I have never been a mom on welfare. I haven't been forced to ever make such a decision, so I say none of this in judgement. In fact, in the second article I posted, the very first commenter was a product of rape. It was a very interesting perspective.

If you've been to the Holocaust Museum, though, it's easy to imagine such a place as he brought up in his article. Sean and I went to the museum a decade ago, just a month after 9/11. It was the most horrifying experience. The images and words and voices and videos...the hallway of shoes. I kept saying to Sean at the time, "How could this have happened so recently?" The barbaric nature of what was done to Jews, how quickly Hitler came to power, how so many wanted him in power, how so many countries just appeased him. It baffles me.

And now, abortion. People want to deny the connection. If we're just speaking in time frames and numbers here, abortion is much worse as far as genocide goes. You think Nazis were racist? How many babies are aborted simply because of the color of their skin? How many babies are aborted because of their sex? I have a friend from China who would be glad to tell you some stories.

8-In the few minutes of local news I caught, I had to laugh at the extensive segment on Beyonce lip-synching. Just previous to the segment they gave, literally, two lines to the cost of the Inauguration. "In 2009, the Inauguration cost tax payers an estimated $179 million. Don't be surprised if this years was much, much higher." Yes, surprised, that's what we'll be. I mean, heck, we're such a thriving nation, we have loads of money to spend on celebrities and red carpet events for our beloved politicians.

9-This morning, I had a good heart to heart with myself about respecting the position of the office; no matter which office it may be. And then I read an article about $5 Presidential condoms being sold on the Mall and I realized it was a waste of introspection.

10-Wrapping this up because I get the feeling not many people have read my rant. In the end, God is sovereign and that is how I fall asleep at night. Proverbs 16:1-4 The plans of the heart belong to man, But the answer of the tongue is from the LORD. 2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the LORD weighs the motives. 3 Commit your works to the LORD, And your plans will be established. 4 The LORD has made everything for its own purpose, Even the wicked for the day of evil.

Please read the articles, if nothing else!



3 comments:

rhonda: alpha dog said...

You, my friend, are an inspiration. Last night, it took hours for me to slow my thoughts and fall asleep. What was on my mind besides my sweet dog? I actually decided to be a voice of reason in a gun debate on FB. It started out quite civil and turned disrespectful. Suddenly, my opinion and the other person who agreed with me (and who was also being civil) became murders and idiots and morally corrupt. I had abstained from engaging in such stuff on FB because of this very thing. But, I'm sick of it! I'm sick of people not looking on the side of reason/logic and compassion, not just about guns but abortion, adoption and accountability.

Therefore, I am announcing that I will start my own blog. If people are going to listen to celebrities, who proclaim they are for gun control while shooting their current action flick, then I don't see why a few people can't also listen to me. LOL! Or, perhaps I'm battling narcissism--also a tragic plague of this country/society.

Corey said...

I love reading your rants. :) You are nothing if not passionate, my friend!

Jude said...

tell sean I can't argue with him until he plays me in wwf :) remind me to send you an interesting video on food supplies I found!