Saturday, March 16, 2013

Jude Maverick

Jude was born on Monday, March 11 at 3:27 p.m.
He topped the scales at 6lb 4oz and 19.5 inches.

Jude, well, that name kind of picked him. We considered Jude as a middle name for Titus, but I really didn't want people calling him TJ. When we were narrowing down choices, it was going to be Jonah or Jude. Jonah fit the five letter theme we have going thus far, but Jude kept taking the lead. I finally settled the debate with, "As the youngest of four boys, he will be '&Jude' for a good part of his life anyways." Who says ampersands can't be a letter? :) Added to that, everyone we know named Jude is a good egg and the book of Jude in the Bible seems super relevant to this generation.

"He was a maverick not only in his church life but in almost all the areas of his life. But his eccentricities were almost all large-hearted and directed outward for the good of others."-from this article

The boys and I were reading George Mueller's biography when we were picking names. His story is so powerful that this stumbled upon description seemed just right. A way to honor a hero of our faith. Plus, with a one syllable first name, we figured a heavier middle name was just fine.

Forgive me if this post seems rambly. I assume it's understood why. :) I am in the midst of the beautiful chaos that our lives have become. Or have possibly always been and we just kicked it up a notch.

Baby Jude is super calm unless he's hungry. He doesn't mind the carseat so far. He doesn't mind people touching him. He doesn't mind loud noises. He calms immediately at the sound of Sean's voice. Which is odd because I hounded Sean a lot to talk to my belly when I was pregnant and he rarely did. I suppose his plan worked out.

His birth was pretty smooth considering:
I was in "latent labor" for a week. I went in Saturday thinking it was for real, walked the halls of the hospital for two hours only to be sent home because I was "too calm." The fact that I was 5 centimeters dilated and contracting didn't seem to matter. Monday morning, my doctor performed a technique that has now worked successfully four times and I was in real labor two hours later.

I checked in to the hospital at 1:30, still "cool and calm" according to the nurse. I opted to go the drug free route again. After meeting the anesthesiologist, even in the midst of super strong contractions, I knew I'd made the right decision. Yikes. If I can explain the benefits/risks of an epidural better than you, you aren't coming near me.

By three o'clock I was ready to get the ball rolling. After one push, everyone else joined the game. I kept an ice pack over my eyes and nodded/shook my head to any questions asked. By the time it was all over, I realized I'd agreed to a whole slew of people to observe. I only remember saying yes to two med students. Somehow, there were many, many more bodies in my room. Watching all the gory details of a live, natural birth. Good times, good times.

As cheesy as it sounds, I was praying my heart out during the worst of it. I asked Sean, "Did I take God's name in vain at any point? Because if I did, I wasn't swearing, I honestly was praying." He reassured me that the only thing I yelled was, "Come on, Jude!" and "Owowow!"

I know when they handed me my boy, there were smiles on everyone's faces. I apologized to the two med students, assuming they will nevereverever want kids of their own. According to my doctor, though, they thought it was the coolest thing in the world and want to do L&D every day. :D He replied, "Not everyone is a rock star like her." That made me smile. He had to break their hearts with a story of a 400lb woman delivering a 14lb baby that he was part of as a student. It seems not every delivery goes according to the text book.

Our friend asked us if having the fourth is just as special as the first. I have to say it's just different; more special in some ways, less special in some, just different in most. I know a heck of a lot more about the health care world now than I did with any of the others. I fought a lot more with this kid than with the others; my mama bear protection is much stronger on issues that can't be undone. I didn't let people bully me into decisions just because they have M.D. on their scrubs. It helped that I have THE best doctor in the world. He has solidified my confidence in the doctor/patient relationship. He has no idea how many prayers he's answered just by being on our side and by being good at what he does.

Speaking of answered prayers, I went in to this birth with more anxiety than I did with the others. I was anxious that I would deliver in 40 minutes like I did Titus. In this town, that could've been scary given traffic, getting on base, getting into the hospital, etc. I was also anxious that things were going a little too smoothly. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Then I was in labor, not in labor, in labor, not in labor. I was just antsy. All along, God was there. In His glory that has no bearing on my faith and lack thereof. Thank HIM. He was showing me that He is good regardless of the outcome and I'm hopeful that I learned that, despite a positive outcome in this case. Some of that is a bit encrypted, more of a note to self. The big point, God is good either way. I read this blog post a few days before Jude was born. I don't even remember how I found it or if someone sent me a link, but I focused on several of these verses when I was having my, "Let me out!!!" moment. As in:

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Love is the only thing that can save this poor creature, and I am going to convince him that he is loved even at the cost of my own life. No matter what you hear in there, no matter how cruelly I beg you, no matter how terribly I may scream, do not open this door or you will undo everything I have worked for. Do you understand? Do not open this door.
Inga: Yes, Doctor.
Igor: Nice working with ya.
[Dr. Frederick Frankenstein goes into the room with The Monster. The Monster wakes up]
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Let me out. Let me out of here. Get me the hell out of here. What's the matter with you people? I was joking! Don't you know a joke when you hear one? HA-HA-HA-HA. Get me out of here! Open this $%^& door or I'll kick your rotten heads in! Mommy!

Sean referred to that when talking about how I was adamant about no epidural. It made me laugh. And it was totally true. Right before Jude finally made his grand appearance, I had a second of regret at not taking the epi, but it was only for a sec. 

Time is short, so here a few iphone pics from the last few days. I have real pictures taken, I just haven't gone through them yet. Soon!

My first moment of rapid blinking was seeing all of my boys in one room. It was like a pinball machine.  I guess I expected some surreal moment of peace and awe and instead it was life as usual +1. I have come to see the circus music we chose for the gender reveal video was absolutely perfect.
 This guy isn't real concerned with Jude either way. When he walked in to the hospital room, I said, "Look, it's baby Jude." He replied, "Oh. Can I watch your giant tv?" Then he asked what was in my hospital gown and then answered himself with, "Oh, just more fatness." Thanks, Guy.

Simon is absolutely obsessed. He's going to make THE best daddy one day. He tries to beat me to Jude if he's crying. He offers to help at every diaper change. He asks to hold him constantly. After answering questions of everyone who asked at Awana on Wednesday, he told my mom, "I'm just going to start telling people his middle name is Bob so I don't have to explain." His pre-daddy skills also reared their more realistic side when I asked him to grab a coat for Titus. First he came back with my least favorite sweater. Then, he grabbed a coat that was Felix's, not T's. As he went back to the closet for the third time he grumbled out, "I don't care what I come back with, you're wearing it!" Yep, a great, realistic dad in the making.

 Another Sean mini-me. Seriously.
The most interaction Felix has had with him. He thinks it's pretty cool when he opens his eyes, but the rest of the time, I think he's just adjusting to the change. Emotionally and not as smoothly as I would've hoped, but we'll get there.
 Sean sops him up every chance he gets. He asks me to text him pictures all day long. :)

Sean is currently working on the music(and it is AMAZING), I'm hoping to edit some pictures and get a video put together shortly. :D

4 comments:

Jude said...

i LOVE him SO much! :)You ARE a rock star! cannot wait to hold him :)

stephanie said...

Congrats to you & your beautiful family!!

rhonda: alpha dog said...

I always love your blog posts, but I especially love this one! Love seeing your little family and all the chaos that would make "normal" people run--you're supermom and the type of person who SHOULD be procreating! :-D

Kimberly White said...

Thanks for telling your birth story. What a wonderful testimony of God's goodness and His grace! So proud of you Chrissy!!!! Congratulations - he is wonderful! (And he does have a fabulous name!) Kim