Thursday, July 11, 2013

Random blatherings


Sean didn't have to go in to work until noon on Monday. After a long weekend, I wanted to sleep in so badly. Alas, Mr. Jude knew we needed to get the Others up for VBS. 7:22 a.m. he was up. I fed him. He noticed the ceiling fan and it caught his attention. His gaze was only diverted by me. We stared at each other for a few minutes. He was cooing and blowing zerberts while kicking me. I was cooing back and smiling, holding his clammy, little hands. Basking. I could've stayed right in that spot all day long.

---

I was able to talk Sean into going out for coffee. Not breakfast, just coffee. He argued that we could drink coffee for free at home. I argued that he nevereverever gets to go in late. Plus, we were three kids down due to VBS. I won. I believe he drank his words as he returned our empty cups at a new coffee shop I found. Something along the lines of, "That was the best cup of coffee I've ever had."

---

We converse in fits and starts as we still have one kid with us. Chatter is mostly about anesthesia and things so far over my head that I can only nod and smile. Somehow we swing to a common question, "What next?" We are here for 16 more months, then onward. Germany is at the top of the list. Florida, maybe. Colorado? I'm pushing for California, but Sean is pretty dead-set against it. Maryland did him in as far as high cost of living. I really hope we get to go overseas. It would certainly make this military thang seem like we got more bang for our buck, adventure-wise.

---

After picking up the kids and hitting two grocery stores, making crowns for the kids, laundry and the like, it was suddenly bedtime. I'd fed the kids, I'm certain, yet I didn't eat anything all day long. Two cups of coffee, but no food. That's no good for my little man cub. My late night bowl of cereal did nothing to stave off the hunger, but at least I was able to stay flipping wide awake until 1am.

---

I just joined my first homeschool group. I have a group, they're just spread out across the country. In less than 24 hours, I've received three emails outside the confines of the message boards. I am still dumbfounded by the kindness of midwesterners. That said, I'm hesitant to meet anyone until I've gone to a group function first.

---

Our final pieces of curriculum came. I'm thoroughly enjoying our summer, but I am also ready to get started! We have a quick trip to Michigan next week and then it's time. Maybe. I may push it off another week. But August 1 is my absolute MUST START NOW deadline. I have no particular reason why, other than self imposed rules.

---

I've been going back and forth with adding Titus into our classroom. He's there, obviously, but I usually just fluttering about. He plays, he colors, he learns quite a bit through osmosis. Mostly, he distracts. I've put together a curriculum for him via the Target dollar spot, Barnes and Noble, and a few other little books I've picked up along the way. He's been hiding away working on his letters. He's been stealing stickers to reward himself. He BEAMS when praised. Yesterday, Felix was coming down the stairs where Titus was working. "I wrote a R, Fe-wix," he said, proudly. Upon thorough examination by a brother's brutal eye, "You DID write an R! You deserve a sticker for that."

---

Pushing away from the breakfast table the other day, Felix announced, "Tank is full!" After placing his bowl in the sink he waivers, "Though...I may want to eat a little more. That was a long time yesterday!" He was referring to the three hours between breakfast and lunch due to VBS. Typically, he grazes all day. Being stuck at a function, unable to consume fruit has been a constant source of concern for him this week.

---

Speaking of food, he was the only kid pouting at the end of VBS, day 1. He was convinced I wouldn't bring them to Family Fun Day. "Why wouldn't I bring you?" I asked. "Because they're serving hot dogs and cotton candy," Felix.

I'm really not the food tyrant everyone makes me out to be. I fully intend to join in the Family Fun Day festivities. If the boys want to eat a hotdog, by all means. Something tells me their colon will aid in self correction.

---

Maybe I am a food tyrant. There's no way I'm letting them eat a hot dog.

---

I came up with a knock knock joke yesterday.
Knock Knock.
Who's there?
Nacho.
Nacho who?
Nacho maid.

For some reason, my kids don't think it's funny.
I, however, find it hilarious and have no problem laughing at my own jokes. Or making my kids clean up their own danged troughs.

---

I have this thing with hands lately. Maybe it has to do with Jude discovering and becoming obsessed with his chubby, dimpled, little paws.



Jude spit all up in his face. It was HILARIOUS. As you can see, Jude was completely unfazed by his rudeness.



---

Yesterday was terribly muggy and sticky and hot. Apparently, my body has acclimated to that of a midwesterner because HOT has an entirely different meaning than it did as a Texan. This morning, the system that brought humidity and rain moved on. It was almost chilly when we got up. The high today is 79* and there is NO humidity. That can only mean one thing: a picnic with my four BFFs.

1 comment:

Nicole K said...

LOVE that joke and will be using it asap!! :)