Friday, May 09, 2014

Lately.

I feel like I've forgotten how to write. I miss the outlet of this blog. I hate that I let so much slip through the cracks without writing it down. There is a lot happening right now that I want to remember.

Jude is sleeping somewhat better and that ought to be documented. Although, he really isn't sleeping better, I'm just forcing myself to not fall asleep while holding him during any one of his middle of the night wake-ups. For a stretch of days a few weeks ago, Sean took over bedtime duty with the littlest. Now, his little prototype insists on him at days end. He won't go to bed for me. He just does his little gimme/grabby hands at the door and waits.

Lately I've been making more of an effort to stumble out of bed, fix Sean breakfast and send him out the door. It allows me to have at least an hour of uninterrupted time before the kiddos wake up. I'd forgotten how refreshing quiet can be.

It's in that stillness that I can think without being interrupted. I pray. I read. I try to predict what next week will bring. Next month. Next year.

It's crazy to think we've already been here a whole year. That Sean has been in school for two. What seemed like it would never end is finally starting to wind down. The graduation date has been set(December 5)! The list of places we'd like to move has been submitted(Germany, Virginia, Ohio, Texas, Florida). A celebratory, much deserved vacation is being planned!And yet there are still so many unknowns. Not the type of unknowns that make me anxious, just curious.

In the midst of all the changes, life is still being lived. There is so much swirling around us. Good and bad, happy and sad. All the while, God is showing us that it's all about Him.

We are attending a marriage class at our church. We haven't been a part of many Bible studies or classes and neither of us is big on self help type books. I don't read popular books. I'm a non conformist, I suppose. I never read Harry Potter or the one about dragon tattoos or all those best sellers on how to make babies sleep(although...perhaps I should check into one). I have no idea what love language I am, though it probably contains sarcasm as it's the language I am most proficient in. I figure the best books aren't the ones that everybody loves. Don't even get me started on four year olds who visit Heaven...

The book we're studying has been life changing. Well, inwardly anyway. If you're married, you need to read this book. If you've been married for 50 years or 1 day, you need to read this book. If you ever PLAN to be married, read it. If you think divorce is your only option, read it.

What Did You Expect? by Paul David Tripp.

You will never look at marriage or your spouse the same. The hard part is that you'll never look at yourself the same. It's harsh. It's real. It's so, so true. The author doesn't sugar coat anything.

What else?

Hm. Well, we're just two short days away from being finished with school for the year. It blows my mind that I'll have a third/fourth and sixth grader soon. Not to mention the up and coming Kindergartner. I predict that I will live the next school year in "workout" pants and ponytails. You like how I put workout in quotation marks? Workout is code for pajama.

I hear the pitter patter of little feet. Coincidentally, I'm still in my "workout" clothes. I probably should've used my quiet time to get dressed for the day. I may have missed my window. :)

1 comment:

Jude said...

I think Micah has that book, I will add to my list to read! :)