Saturday, January 31, 2015

Gold.

I wrote this post pre-move. I FINALLY finished a book with these pictures and the intended party has received it. I'll just go with these words instead of typing up new ones:

I was a Brownie for a time when I was little. I don't remember much about it. I can remember some of the crafts, a square seat cushion we made, and the uniform. Really, the only thing that sticks out is the song, "Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other's gold."

That's been in my head lately.

The boys and I have been talking a lot about the move, obviously. I've tried to ease their my heartache by reminding them, "We never would've met ___________ if we didn't move all the time." Felix replied a few weeks ago, "Yeah...but I'm ready to stop with the friends we have. Can't they just be enough and we stay here?"

Oh, Buddy.

We have some amazing friends all over the country. True, true friends. The kind we can pick right up where we left off, no matter how long it's been. That's a salve that keeps me from going completely basket case sad these days, but I know in my heart of hearts relationships change when you aren't just a few exits down the interstate. I had the thought while editing these pictures...nobody makes Felix smile the way Emily does.

Sometimes you make friends who change you. I'm thankful I have several who have done that throughout my life. Kristine has been that for me for the last eighteen months. She has changed my perspective on things. She cracks me up and lets me vent and offers good advice and counsels me with good godly wisdom. She's as skinny as Olive Oil, but will down cupcakes and sugardy coffee with me. She gets the chaos and complexity of having four kids. She gets me.

I want to curl up with Felix and have a good sob. I don't want to make new friends either. I mean, really, who wants silver when they already have gold?

The irony is that the person who introduced Kristine and I, Sarah? She and I had a sad send off at eleven years old. I remember crying as our car pulled out of the neighborhood and my big sister saying, "It's okay, you'll make new friends." I didn't want new friends then either. Little did I know that that friend I made at ten would wind up giving me an adult best friend twenty years later. And now Sarah and I live in the same state and will hopefully have a grand reunion one day soon.

-----

This may possibly be my favorite shoot ever. It went just exactly how I pictured it in my head(though shorts and Ts would've been preferred to the FRIGID cold). I missed the focus on a few, but the relationships are there. I'll take a blurry picture if I can hear the laughter. I'll be okay with a soft focus if the love is visible. These kids know how to have fun. Even when it's bitterly cold and a  mom with a camera is present. :D

I vote for wedding shots or at LEAST engagement shots to be taken at this very spot in due time. Amongst the crowd of 'em, surely we've got a match in there somewhere!












 Could there be a more maternal move than this?


 All  better. 


 This kid...





















1 comment:

Jude said...

great photos... and hang in there! you will find new kindred spirits soon :)