Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Ten on Tuesday

1A pick up truck hydroplaned in front of us the other day. It was horrible. We were in the middle lane, they sped up and passed us on the right. They were just a few feet beyond our front, right bumper when I saw the truck sway a little. "Whoa, whoa, whoa," I said, not yet realizing what was happening. As Sean took his foot off the gas and started to brake, the truck hit their brakes and it was on. He overcorrected after his brakes locked. His tail end slid right and then the entire truck spun around, crossing right in front of us, through the left lane. He hit the median pretty hard and I thought we were going to watch him die. By the grace of God, the truck didn't flip, but continued to slide all the way through the median and into oncoming traffic. Another miracle, the crowd of cars coming from the other direction was far enough back to stop in time. It was a very busy day on the roads and it can't be explained why there was a gap in traffic at that moment. The only damage we could see was a broken bumper. I imagine his upholstery was probably stained, too.

2You nevernevernever know when your time is up. You can't predict when you could become "other people." Sometimes car accidents/house fires/random acts of God don't happen to other people, they happen to you. Get right with Jesus while you still have a chance. I'm just saying it's worth thinking about.

3Titus learned to tie his shoes this week...in about thirty seconds. It occurred to me that he hasn't had a pair of shoes with laces in quite some time. Velcro makes it easy to be a lazy parent.

4We found an amazing park today. It's close, it has ducks, it has trails, it has boats, it has a contained playground.

5Twelve years of motherhood and today we had a first. Mr. Jude took a dive off the top of said playground equipment. Scared the ever loving crap out of me. Thankfully, it was on the lower end of the equipment, but still a pretty high fall for him. He fared well and the ducks calmed him right down.

6I met a lady there with two little boys. She reminded me so much of my friend Amanda(hi, Friend!). Isn't it funny how life works? After a move, it seems I'm able to find people that have similarities to the friends I've left. I may never see this girl again. I don't even know her name. But for a bit, she reminded me of a friend and I was able to walk down memory lane with a smile on my face.

7I had a dream last night that I was attending yet another anesthesia school graduation. It was insanely real. The clothes, the location, my friends. My mom was there and not sitting by me for some reason. Jude was crawling all over me and my phone, which my mom had across the aisle, kept whistling. She was whisper shouting my text messages to me across the aisle and my friends didn't want to sit by me. I'm no dream analyst, but I sense my brain has not yet left school behind and I'm feeling rejected. I'm not sure about my mom's part in it. Maybe my subconscious just needs a visit from her. :)

8If you're looking for a tear-jerker: St. Vincent was a really cute movie. It has one entirely unnecessary sex scene at the beginning that's reaching for a laugh and flops into awkward zone and some flowery language, but the overall message was ok. I cried.

9On the other end of the spectrum is Forgiving Dr. Mengele, No Place on Earth, and Hitler's Children. All equally horrifying and fascinating. All free on Netflix. All documentaries/docudramas. I'm on a bit of a WW2 kick lately. The boys and I have finished studying the Civil War and Industrial Revolution. I'm anxious to get to the World Wars. Who needs fiction, history is fascinating.

10We have visitors coming for the next four weekends in a row. I'm so stinking excited I can't even stand it. The kids only know about one of them. Their BFF's are coming just before Tito's birthday. He wakes up every morning and goes to sleep every night asking if Sam is coming for his birthday. It's getting harder and harder for me to be vague. His little heart is going to explode when he sees his buddy.

1 comment:

Brown English Muffin said...

❤ ❤ ❤ now words necessary for this post.