Thursday, October 15, 2015

Reconciliation, part 3

I almost titled this, "Reconciliation, the end." But, this isn't the end. However, I didn't expect part three so soon.

Sean's father, Gerry, passed away last night. I had just fallen asleep when the phone woke me. In an effort to silence the ringing, I missed the call. Everybody knows you don't answer the phone in the middle of the night, you simply shut it up to keep from waking children. The message was from someone we don't know and she said she had bad news.

Sean was pretty calm about it. He expected it more than any of us, I think. I'm so sad for Mickey. Gerry's health was bad; this is not out of the blue, at all. It's not so much that he's gone, I'm sad for the same reason I miss my baby. It's the loss of what could've been.

I envisioned Gerry and Mickey at Thanksgiving with us. I envisioned fishing trips and many photo opportunities. I wanted to hear more stories and document the similarities between him and his son.

All day long I've been wondering what he's experiencing. What is Heaven like? Who has he met? What conversations has he had?

I don't read the Bible on my phone often. I like having a good, solid, paper version. But I do have an app and it has a verse of the day. Today's didn't strike a chord with me, but I looked at yesterday's.

Psalm 73:26: "My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

It seems appropriate for a day that will forever go down in our history.

Gerry isn't resting in peace, he is rejoicing in Heaven. He is breathing freely. He is experiencing a peace that we can't even understand. I am so thankful for the hope that we have through Jesus Christ. I am so thankful that he snatched that hope up, even right there at his eleventh hour.


1.27.1953-10.14.2015
Oh, how I wish that I had taken more pictures...

2 comments:

Fleurztael said...

Let's hold on swervingly to the hope that we have. I'm sorry for your loss. While we have great hope in eternity, we still miss moments down here. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful hat you all had that time with him and that he now has eternal life! Praying for all of you!

HMS