Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Jamestown



The top picture was in March of 2013 just a few days before I had Jude. I'm dying a little bit inside seeing how tiny and precious they were as I tend to do when digging through pictures. 

The bottom picture was last week. Jude is not normally willing to stand still for a photo, I was bribing him with candy from the gift shop. 
 
 Last week was homeschool week in Jamestown and Yorktown. I was really hoping to connect with some locals, but it turned out, we were the only locals present on the days we visited. 
 Jude was pretty much along for the ride as he wasn't old enough for any of the special events. He was such a trooper. He lasted right up until we had fifteen minutes left and finally whisper yelled to me, "THIS IS BORING! I'M READY TO GO!" 
 The fella doing one of the firing demonstrations lined the kids up with fake guns. Jude asked to join in and he let him. He marched through all of Jamestown with the big kids, struggling to hold his gun and struggling to keep up, but I'll be durned if every single person in the whole settlement didn't stop and smile at him. 


 There aren't any pictures of the biggest Mr. from that day. He was at a separate event learning about what it would've been like to be on the ships. 

We picnicked in Jamestown as it was a beautiful, breezy 80 degrees. We couldn't have picked a better day to go on such an adventure. Pulling back into our neighborhood, we spotted this fella noshing on something and felt all, "Rah rah, America!" He was absolutely massive. He was so big we thought he was a vulture until he popped his bald, white head up. Even though we see him fairly regularly, I'm still awestruck by our bald eagles every single time. 
Homeschool friends, I highly recommend the Jamestown/Yorktown Homeschool events. It's a bundle ticket and includes visits to both parks as many times as you want during a two week stretch. You can also sign the kids up for different tours and classes. Williamsburg also has a Homeschool week, but I don't pay for anything in W-burg. There's enough free stuff to do there that I feel like paying for anything is a waste of money. I'm only half joking. Added to that, everyone at Jamestown and Yorktown were incredibly nice and knowledgeable. I can't say honestly say the same about quite a few docents I've met in Williamsburg. But...if you're coming from out of town, ya might as well do the whole shebang.

If you're from out of town, consider this a formal invitation to stay with me! That way you can save on hotel costs so you can buy more plastic crap at the gift shops.

No comments: