Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Jude, lately

I frequently ask the males what they're thinking about when they're accidentally quiet. I typically get the same response, and I'm starting to think it may be the truth, "Nothing." How do males simply think about nothing? Like, nothing nothing? Or like not worth mentioning nothing? There is a difference.

Jude caught me staring off into space and asked,

"Whatcha thinkin' about? You thinkin' about me?"

He leaves no room for reply. The question mark between questions was more of a brief pause.

---

He's the first jealous kid we've ever had. There's one particular little angel face that always falls asleep in my arms at church. He does not like that baby. I don't know if it's because I sniff baby Ji Ji's hair. I don't know if it's because I go all heart eyes when I see this particular baby or what. All I know is that he is incredibly jealous of babies that are smaller than him. Especially if I or Sean or Grandma or Grandpa happen to hold said baby. In an attempt to soften him towards babies in general, I figured Christmas books might help. Tonight it was a simple story about baby Jesus that featured many pictures of sweet baby Jesus lying in a manger.

"Awww, look at the baby. Babies are so sweet. They're small and helpless and we should love and protect babies." On and on and on I went. I looked over to see his brow furrowed and his unblinking stare of disapproval,

"I hate babies. I shouldn't say hate."

Again, the period between the two sentences, a brief pause. He didn't give me time to say that he shouldn't say hate. The fact that he stated on his own that he shouldn't say hate lets me know he's listening. I'm not one of those moms that doesn't allow my kids to use the word "hate." They can use the word. They understand the word, even the three year old. Sometimes the word "hate" is needed. However, they get a talking to if they link hate with people. They can hate the weather. They can hate that we're moving. They can hate a game or a show or a meal. I also let them use the word stupid. Because in this day and age, there's a lot of stupid.

---

The little two were doing the bedtime stall routine tonight. Jude bribed me to lay with them by offering to brush my hair. As if I'd say no to that deal. 400 questions later, Titus asked, "So when I get married, my wife will get our last name?" I don't know where these questions come from or why they wait until bedtime to ask, but I somehow follow their rabbit trails and end up talking the night away. Jude joins in with,

"When will I get married?"
"When you're old and have met a girl you love. A girl that you want to spend the rest of your life with. The perfect one for you."
"A girl wike you?"

Man, I love him. Just to keep things real, he did sock one of his brothers square in the mouth today. Hard enough to bust a lip and draw blood. He's a puzzle, that one. A rico suave that takes no crap offa his brothers.


No comments: