Saturday, March 25, 2017

NBD

Does NBD still mean No Big Deal? Did it ever mean No Big Deal? I really don't want to be that super unfleek old lady that uses acronyms incorrectly, KWIM? Bam. I'm an AF wife. We live acronyms, especially the ones of which nobody knows the actual meaning.

My four BFFs that I took on an adventure today. That's where the NBD comes in. I had many, "NBD we're just __________," moments today. If pictures bore you, turn away. :) Ome has quickly become my favorite place on earth.
Sean is on call for the week, which typically makes for a very long week around here. I decided not to let it hold me back this weekend. I was all, "Ok, well...bye." The boys got to be boys. They forgot they were supposed to be fighting and accidentally got along for a solid four hours. The whole lot of them. There may have actually been a tiny bit of real life, no kidding brotherly love today.

Jude requires much bribery if Sean isn't with us. Simon did our 7-11 run for us and came out with tiny Coke bottles for the little two. They don't get soda very often around here, so the entire days haul of photographs look a bit like a Coke commercial.

On the way to Ome, I had a long talk about not being typical Americans. Don't be loud and boisterous. Don't be obnoxious. There moment to shine was here, "On the other side of the bridge is restaurants where people are eating outside. Be respectful. Be quiet. Don't be 'those Americans.'" That led to Jude bolting and his brother tackling him at the end of the bridge. This, of course, led to Jude screaming as if he was being murdered Ah, kids. The great humblers.
Titus has finally mastered blowing bubbles. In a majority of todays shots, he has a weird something going on with his lips. On the ride home I heard him wondering aloud how many bubbles were caught by my camera. :) Funny kid.



At one point, the sweetest elderly Japanese couple stopped us on the walkway and wanted to chat. We did a lot of giggling, hand signals, and eventually Google translate. Do you know what doesn't work with kids interjecting in the background? Google translate. The only one of us that understood anything was Titus. He kept tugging on me, "I know what she's saying, Mom." And I'd say, "Then answer for us!" At the beginning of our chat, I only had the little two. When the big two came trotting up, they could barely contain themselves. It was awesome. The old man kept patting each of their heads as if unpacking a life sized Troika doll.

Titus told them all of our names and ages. I need to get Jude in Yochien so he can help us collectively not look like a buncha morons. The wife laughed when Google translate managed to catch, "My husband speaks better Japanese than me." At the end, she said her only English phrase, "Nice to meet you." As we were leaving about an hour later, I spotted them further down the walkway and gave a little wave. When Jude turned to wave also, the little old lady was so excited that she was jumping up and down waving at us. It made my day and I think it made hers, too.



 I don't think this cat spoke English. 
His skipping stone selection:
Titus' smile is everything(and the way Jude was scaling the eight inch tall boulder!). 
These fellas were warned. No whining allowed if they drenched themselves or soaked their shoes. I had to stop the mom train a few times and let them be. I pretended head injuries aren't an actual thing and let them climb every rock but the last one they wanted to climb. Due to the rectal cranial inversion of my eldest, he didn't see what the problem was with the rock that was in the middle of the rapids. As his oblivious mother, it didn't occur to me that he had the ability to fly or float himself into the middle of the river to shimmy up that bad boy. I will say that the silent treatment he gave me over this didn't have the effect on me he was going for. Mom: 1, Silent Simon: 0.
I texted Sean this picture. 
He texted back: It was in November. Just keep your voices down. 
I replied: Have you met your children? Time to go! 
 I tend to push limits when it comes to picture taking. I don't have a happy middle ground. I always tend to take just a few too many as evidenced by the mugs in this shot. 
 But I never get pictures of all four! I was on a streak today and I wasn't willing to let it go easily. 

Look at that kindness. 
 See how lovingly he's dragging his baby brother up the rock?

 Just to push my luck, I tried for a few timer shots. 

 On our way back to the car. What looks like a sweet hug is actually Jude threatening to throw his brother off the side of the trail. Maybe I'll forget that part years down the road. 
 You can get anything from a vending machine in Japan. My kids come running to the sound of coins dropping into a vending machine in the same way Gus goes running for his squeaky toy. 


 I'd like to come back in a week or two and see it all in bloom. The boys agreed that that is a good idea. :)
 This is the end of the pictures. Sean told me not to post them all lest folks get bored. I took 560 pictures today. I thought this was whittled down pretty well. 
On the way home, we decided to be spontaneous and try somewhere new for dinner. We chose a ramen place that was unlike our typical ramen places. It was amazing. The poor guy that got stuck taking our order kept saying "Hot." I was a little confused. Ramen is supposed to be hot. So I was trying to communicate, "Spicy?" It was hilarious to both of us. He was asking all of his coworkers for help translating. He finally just goes, "Ahhhh, I don't speak English!" He said it in perfect English. I said, "Ah, now that I understood." We finally figured it out enough via Google translate to order and grabbed a few selections of tempura. I'm not entirely sure what we ate, but you can't go wrong with fried.

We broke many etiquettes today. I had to reroute and turn around quite a few times on our way home. It was a bit cold and the flowers weren't as in bloom as I'd hoped, but the boys and I had an awesome, awesome day. I said no big deal several times today, but this stuff is a pretty big deal. A huge deal. It's everything.

I would rather come home with 500 pictures and the memories captured than $500 worth of anything money can buy.

1 comment:

Corey said...

You are a brave woman, taking on a foreign country with a language you barely speak and 4 boys to boot! I love it! The Japanese seem like very kind and gracious people. The scenery is so beautiful! Its funny, except for the temples, it looks very much like where I grew up here in California.
PS we watched a few of Simon's youtube videos a few weeks ago. I hope he keeps that up! Its so neat to see another perspective, especially in video format. My kids were impressed and enthralled with his adventures! :)
PPS I completed one Sakura painting for you...I think you'll end up with more than one ;-)