Saturday, April 15, 2017

Mt. Mitake

We've been going, going, going lately. This was another trip in which nothing was in bloom yet, but it was still a good family day. Ok, that's a lie. I seem to remember at one point saying, "I don't even want to look at the pictures I took today, because there are no good memories from this day."

Time has softened the blow of bad attitudes and now the pictures seem lovely.

We were a tad unprepared for snow. We left home surrounded by balmy weather of mid-fifties. I figured vests and hoodies would do. I usually end our trips looking like a pack mule, carrying everybody's coats and bags, so I tend to have the clothing discarders dress in light layers vs giant winter coats. Felix is sporting sunglasses in these after having his eyes dilated during a somewhat emergent head injury + vision change eye exam. He's fine now. His eyes are back to normal.
 These trees lined the parking lot. They were amazing. There was a weird stump off to the side in which someone had severed a baby doll head and set it up at the edge of the woods. A random head, watching from the woods. Creepy as all get out. I was not willing to get a picture of it, but I think Simon did. 

This was a random shrine on the walk to the cable car. Not the main attraction, but if they're willing to pose, I take it. 
 The snow + the steep walk up to the million stairs to get to the shrine made for many, many unpleasantries. 
 Musashi Mitake Shrine is dedicated to animals, I think. Something about having your animals blessed? We did wonder aloud a time or two if it would adjust our own precious Ruby's personality a notch or two. ;)
 Tito's face pretty much sums it all up. 













I decided after this trip, no more shrines. It's not that I was intending to do just the shrine. Usually there's other attractions near shrines and if we stumble upon one, cool. To force these children to climb a bunch of stairs to see a building...they're over it. I'm okay with that. 

No comments: