Thursday, May 11, 2017

Showa Park--Poppies

Again with the flowers. Jude was super disappointed when he realized I hadn't been saying "puppies."
 Amazing! So much better than puppies. 




 The kids were a little tuckered out by the time we got to the poppies. Showa is a big park and this was our hottest day here yet. According to Titus, it felt like Virginia in the summer time. I love that he inadvertently matched the poppies. 

 Jude, on the other hand, needs some work. He likes to dress himself, which I am all for, but...hm. He's real big(real big) on sharing his opinions lately. I'd forgotten how shocking four year olds are. You'd think I'd remember as I have been here before. Yesterday, two people were "creepy." I immediately gave him the mom eyes. Bugged out eyes + stern brow, you know the look. "We don't call people creepy." He edited his statement to, "Weeeeell, she scares me. I can say she's scary." I corrected, "She's not creepy or scary. She's a very nice lady." He hasn't given it up. I gave him the speech about thinking things but not saying them out loud. I gave him another speech about how words can hurt people. 

Today he picked a Japanese gentleman at the park, "MOM! He's so OLD! Look how OLD he is. He can barely walk he's so OLD!" 

His next victim was not Japanese. I don't know what he was, but I do know that he understood Jude perfectly. "Ma, dats a man with wady hair." The man shot me a look, so I started in, "It's just a pony tail. Lots of men have ponytails, that doesn't make it lady hair. Remember how we talked about not saying everything you're thinking...? Look! Aren't the poppies pretty?!" He started humming a song. I thought my poppy distraction worked. And then we came dead even with the man and Jude looked him square in the face and said, "Nope. Dats wady hair." What do you do with that? 





 The poppies were gorgeous. I didn't realize they came in so many varieties or that they're so tall. Locals, if you haven't made it to see the poppies, you still have time. There are quite a few buds that haven't opened yet. I have no idea how long they stick around, but they are definitely worth a trip to Showa. 








1 comment:

Corey said...

I'm going to need to paint you some more flowers to commemorate all your time in Japan LOL! I already opened your box back up and put a little sample of Nemophila :D it's not too late for poppies!