Saturday, May 26, 2018

Obsessive

I have been a sewing fool for the past month or so. I'm trying to finish all the projects that are half way to complete. I tend to do all the fun parts and then fold it up and stick it in a drawer somewhere only to forget about it. With quilting, that means: buying, washing, drying, ironing, cutting, designing, sewing blocks, sewing rows, sewing quilt tops...only to finish the top and never sandwich, baste, quilt, and bind. There's a lot of time consuming steps that aren't as fun as others. 

I did manage to complete two of these lantern quilts for dear friends who have or will soon abandon me for the sake of service. 

I have a few more in the works, but I fizzled out in the manner mentioned above. 




This lovely little pile was a result of the green tulip fabric. I fell in love and had to build a quilt around it. I don't have a lot of green in my house, so I wanted that Spring-y pop of color. 


I loved the fabric too much to cut it into tiny pieces, so I went with a larger design. These stars were so fun to put together! Each finished block is a little over 8" square.



It turned out a bit busier than I would've liked, but I didn't want the finished quilt any bigger than this. Plus, I'm lazy. Adding a white border around each star would've taken more time than I wanted to give this one. The top is currently sewn together and awaiting batting and a back. 



I remember my Grandma talking about paper piecing. She was a master of all things sewing, so she acted like it was easy. But she was like that. There was nothing that woman couldn't whip up on a sewing machine. As she explained paper piecing, I just nodded along, never intending to try such a thing. I stumbled upon these kokeshi dolls on pinterest and decided to figure it out. Not bad. Not bad at all. Super time consuming, but the results are so worth it. Each doll took me a little over an hour. They are 8x12(ish) inches. That's a lot of time for one block. You have to press and trim between each small seam.

I was planning to make these Kokeshi dolls(I see them as Geisha more than Kokeshi) into a quilt, but methinks baby has enough quilts. I found the pattern on craftsy and have since reached out to the designer (http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/) in the hopes she'll make some more Japanese inspired paper piecing patterns. I think I'll quilt them individually and frame them for Baby's room. 


These two with the pigtails are my favorite. 


After these girlies, paper piecing was my jam for a few days. I whipped up this letter M for a baby shower. The last name is Fox and I happened to have fox fabric. How could I resist?! I was pretty proud of how the orange lines lined up. That never happens without much seam ripping and cursing, but I nailed it by chance on the first go 'round. 


These next three have been in the "1/2 way there" category for a few weeks. I finally finished them up yesterday. For the pink and navy one, I couldn't take any more straight lines, so I started in the center and worked my way out. I was totally winging it and it worked out really, really well. I love it. The backing is four large squares of the patterns in the quilt. I love being able to use up a whole stack of fabrics that I love on one quilt. It's like getting a two-fer when you love the back of the quilt as much as the front. 


Pink and taupe-y grey with hydrangeas. I love hydrangeas. 


Same pattern as the pink/navy quilt above, but different fabrics. I quilted this one on the diagonal. It took forever, but I'm happy with the results on this one, too. 


The back:
The boys kept asking me what was wrong with the solid fabrics. It's a watercolor design in the fabric. I didn't spill anything on it. :)




This quilt was born of a botched design. I took another quilt apart that just wasn't working and almost chucked it. I'm so glad I didn't. My friend gave me a scrap of pink minky that matched the tiny roses perfectly and was juuuuust enough to back this one. I've never sewn with minky before. Holy smokes, is it slippery and difficult to work with. This one isn't perfect, but it's sooooo soft and lovely and I can picture a baby cuddled up in it. Given how hard it was to work with, I just tacked this quilt instead of quilting it with a grey zigzag stitch right in the middle of each square/triangle.


My mom crocheted this one in the most beautiful shade of coral. I love it, so much! It looks right at home hanging on the crib rail with the rest of Baby's blankets. 


Well, looks like the baby will never want for a blanket. 


I am nesting something fierce. Her room is ready aside from a few dozen more blankets needing to be finished up. I may pump the brakes on sewing for her as Jude found a stash of boy fabrics. He kept unloading my fabric cart and pushing it around the house. He was so relentless that I caved and got him his own IKEA cart to shuttle toys and such around in. Wouldn't ya know it, he dug the boy fabrics out and has been playing quilt shop all week. I kept telling him that I need to wash the fabrics first. I found them loaded in the washer today. :) That boy wants a new quilt. He has quite a few, but given his level of appreciation for crafts from Ma, I'd say he's due another one...and I know just what fabrics I want to hack into:

No comments: