I could wax on about how amazing this kid young man is. I could blather about how studious he is when interested in something. How he's focused and diligent and respectful. I could repost comments so many of his customers have made in regards to his work ethic. I could weep openly about how quickly my baby boy grew into a man. I could retell so many stories of the little everyday moments I remember from every age. I could write a list of all the people who love him and type all the ways he's touched their lives.
But I won't. I mean, I kinda just did, but I'll stop. It's a mom's job to gush, no? We are so proud of this guy. Our first born. Our greatest experiment who has somehow turned out, is turning out, so much better than we ever could've hoped.
Just one mom moment...HOW(hooooooooooow?!?!??!) is this only a two year difference? Time, you jerk!
Forget it. I can't leave it at just pictures.
Gone are the days of reminding him to brush his teeth and change his socks and pick up after himself. The hot wheel cars and legos and pockets full of little boy treasures are long gone. Once upon a time he seemed to need me. Now it's me hollering up the stairs, "Hey, Simon! Can you help me?" He turns to his dad more often for advice, to share a joke, to discuss his future, to help with math. We got to shaving and driving and college shopping and future building a lot more suddenly than anticipated. What felt like a steady drive now feels like we've reached some kind of turn off. A little parking area, to gather our whits before moving on to the next leg of our journey. What scares the crap out of me and makes a little sob catch in my throat is that I'm not the one driving for the next piece, not figuratively or literally.
As parents, we do so much for them for so long and then one day...they're doing it all for themselves. I suppose that's the whole point, to get them to this place in life. The milestones look so different here. The little peeks into their future that let you know they're gonna make it. As I breathe a little sigh of relief, I know the jobs not done, it never will be.
He doesn't say, "Hey, mom, watch this!" nearly as often anymore, but I am. I'm still watching, my boy.

No comments:
Post a Comment